Chapter 50

Jeff lets out a hearty laugh. A second later, Ashley joins him with her own burst of laughter. James and Boomer stand there, shocked and confused, until Jeff regains his composure.

"You had me worried for a second there, James." He says with a grin. "But to answer your question, no. Margaret and I aren't siblings." After receiving a very confused look from James, he continues. "Jen, Ashley's mom, she's my sister. And Bill, Ashley's dad, Margaret is his sister. Different sides of her family." He says as he chuckles.

Then James and Boomer started laughing. Of course they were from different sides. That made so much more sense.

"Whew." James sighs as he finishes laughing. "I was pretty worried for a second."

Ashley raises her head. "So...we need to figure out if I have any inheritance." She says slowly. "How can we do that?"

"I got an idea." Everyone's heads turn to Boomer, as if telling him to continue. "Sheriff, ye think ye could go ask this Aunt o' Ashley's some questions?"

Jeff's eyebrows shoot up. "Well, her house is outside my jurisdiction, this county... So I can't arrest her or anything unless she comes over here. But I could go see if I can ask her some questions." He says thoughtfully.

"Then let's go an' do it!" Boomer says excitedly. then he turns to James and Ashley. "But y'all aren't comin' with us. Too dangerous."

James and Ashley stiffen. "No." James says. "We're so coming with you." he says as Ashley nods her head in agreement. "Even if it is dangerous. You guys will be there to protect us anyways."

Jeff stares into first James' eyes, then moves to Ashley's. He seems to be debating something in his head, then he slowly lets out a sigh.

"I guess you can come." He says reluctantly. "But!" He says as he sees Ashley and James light up. "You're gonna stay in my car. With the doors locked." He says firmly.

James and Ashley nod. Then Jeff gets up and puts on his hat as he walks out the door. Boomer, James and Ashley follow him out the door and to the fast looking sheriff's car that's sitting in front of the office, and climb in.

"Everyone buckle up!" Jeff says. "Just cause this is a police car doesn't mean you don't have to strap in." He says with a chuckle.

Ashley giggles as she straps herself in. Then she takes a deep breath. They were going to her aunt's house. The very person that was trying to get her. She glanced around and noticed that all the windows were tinted, and tinted so heavily that from the outside, nobody could see in. Well that was good. That way nobody would know that her and James are in the car.

A half hour later, after traveling down countless windy back roads, the sheriff's car pulls into the dirt driveway in front of Margaret Jackson's house.

"Now y'all stay here." Boomer says firmly. "I'm goin' with the sheriff. You shore you'll be okay now?"

James and Ashley nod, and watch as Boomer and Jeff climb out of the police car and shut their doors. James reaches forward and locks the doors, and they watch their uncle and their friend walk up to the front porch stairs.