Chapter 21

James suddenly opens his eyes, searching his memory for what was going on. Oh yeah. He had been sleeping. He was in a nice old couple's house. There was a soft noise coming from somewhere to his right. He strained to recognize what that sound was. Then he remembered. He'd heard it before. It was Ashley crying. He turns over and sees Ashley rolled up into a ball in the other bed, sobbing. Without hesitation, he jumps up and crosses the room.

"Are you okay?" As soon as the words come out, James realizes how stupid he must sound. Of course she isn't okay. She's crying, for goodness sake.

He climbs onto her bed rubs her back with his hand. Then he moves over and sits with his back against the wall, and he picks her up and sets her on his lap. He wraps his arms tight around Ashley.

Ashley feels James climb in the bed, and feels the sensation of being picked up. Next thing she knew, his chest was right beside her. She must be sitting on his lap. How sweet of him. How sweet and kind and thoughtful this boy was. She buries her head into his chest, letting all the pent-up tears and emotions roll out.

James feels her move her head so she's facing him and crying into his chest. He lays his head down beside hers and starts tearing up. This girl. She's been through so much. First the death of both of her parents at the same time, and then a year later finding out her aunt is out to get her, and willing to kill for it, and now losing the person who had given her all the attention and love she needed since she had lost her own mother. And the person that she treated like a father? Who knows! Maybe he is dead too.

"I'm so sorry." James whispers in her ear, too choked up to say much. "I'm just so sorry.

One thought consumes James' mind as he holds the sobbing girl in his arms. She has lost her own parents. And now she's lost most of her second family too. All that's left is him. He is all she has. As he holds his best friend in his arms, he realizes something. He loves her. And he isn't going to deny it. He loved her. He loves her like a sister. He loves her like a friend. He loves her as a person. Everything about this girl, he just loves her. And suddenly he has a really strong urge to tell her, but he doesn't quite know how.

Ashley slowly stops crying, and looks up at the boy that is holding her with tear soaked eyes. She sees that he has been crying too, yet he still managed to comfort her. He is truly amazing.

"Thank you." She mouths, still too choked up to speak. Then she lays her head back down on his chest and cuddled closer to him and closed her eyes.

James feels her cuddle up close to him and he smiles and tightens his grip. There were bad people who wanted this girl, wanted her enough to kill for her. But as he holds his best friend in his arms, he knows one thing. He is the only thing this girl has. He will stop at nothing to keep her safe. He won't let anyone lay a hand on her. He will protect her at all costs. He would kill for her.