Chapter 36

Ashley and James walk in silence, making it a point to not brush up against the other. Ashley tried to start conversation a couple times, but quickly got shut out by James. She's irritated at him now. How could he be so cold suddenly? It's so rude. Is this the person she thought she knew? A two-sided, hard-nosed, cold boy who plays with her feelings, and now wants nothing to do with her?

"Stupid boys." She mumbles under her breath, just loud enough that James can hear her talking, but not loud enough for him to know what she is saying. "They're all like this. Play with your heart then throw you aside."

She starts getting angry. Really angry. She's been played by this boy. He had been so nice, so wonderful, so amazing. But it was all a front. How can she be so gullible as to think it was all real. Of course nobody would treat her that way. What was she. A heartbroken orphan. She's not pretty, nor brilliant. Of course none of it was real.

James glances over at Ashley. They'd brushed up a couple times, but she'd jumped away at the casual touch. She's acting like he has the plague. So she never had really viewed him as anything other than just a friend. Was this how she treated all her friends? He glances quizzically at her. If she treats all of her friends like she treated him, she's not the kinda girl he wants anyways. He decides to take a chance. Ask her about Danny. He's gotta know he truth.

"Ash, I gotta ask you something."

"What." Ashley snaps back.

James is surprised by the tone of her voice. "Well, if you don't want me to..."

"No." She quickly replies. "I don't want you to."

James' eyes widen. "Ash, what's wrong?"

"NOTHING'S WRONG!" She yells, mad at James. What, now he's back to acting all sweet? No. "And don't call me that!" She adds as she feels a wave of sadness sweeping over her.

James' heart gets heavy. Now she didn't want him to call her Ash? But he loves that nickname! Oh. Just like he loves her. And she doesn't love him back. The weight of that finally hits him, and he starts tearing up. Ashley doesn't love him. At least nothing more than a friend or brother. Nothing more. His vision gets blurred by tears, but he's determined not to let Ashley see him cry. Not right now.

Ashley kicks herself for yelling at James. But...just how? How could he be like this? So....unfeeling one moment, then wanting to fix it the next. He never really had loved her, had he? Was that all they we're in his eyes? Friends? How can he do this to her. As if she wasn't emotional enough already.

The sun starts to set, and they look around anxiously. There's no place to sleep in sight. Not even a big tree. They keep walking, not much they can do at this point, and as they get to the top of a hill, out of nowhere there's a house. They walk up to the front door without so much as a glance at the other. A sign above the door surprises them.

Two Hearts Bed & Breakfast

Two hearts. Yeah, right. James thinks. That's what they have, two separate hearts. Completely different things they want. James rings the bell, and a middle aged lady comes to the door.

"Hello?" She asks. "Oh, hi! Are you going to be staying with us? We don't get that many people through here. We've got a room for you if you'd like!"

"Oh good!" Ashley says as she puts on a fake smile. at least now she wouldn't have to sleep up next to James all night. James. She still can't believe how he'd been so nice. And she believed him. But it was all a front.

James and Ashley follow the woman inside as she shows them around.