Chapter 22

James slowly opens his eyes, as the sunlight pours in through the window. Why was he laying on something hard? Oh, that's right. He wasn't laying, he was sitting against the wall. He remembers that Ashley was in his lap, he looks down to see if she's still there. She is. James draws a deep breath in.

"She's so pretty when she's asleep, too." He whispers to himself, not registering that he'd said it aloud. "No, she's beautiful." He says and then smiles. "My best friend is beautiful."

Ashley is sleeping soundly, head back, half laying on James shoulder, half on his chest. Her legs were drawn in, still scrunched up like they were when he put her on his lap, and her arms were around his stomach. He reaches a hand up and lightly, carefully strokes her face.

Ashley feels the gentle touch, and slowly opens her eyes and smiles, seeing James' looking down at her from only a couple inches away.

"Good morning, beautiful." James says with a smile. Then his face suddenly turns crimson red. His heart pounds. He did NOT just say that. Surely this was a dream. Maybe she hadn't heard him...

Ashley's insides jump. Her pulse raced. Had she really just heard what she thought she did? She leans forward a couple inches and gives James a kiss on the cheek. NO. She really did not just do that. Now her face turns bright red. She did not consciously do that.

James sees Ashley's lips kiss his cheek, and if he wasn't as red as he could get before, he was now. Also the teensiest bit proud. And leaping for joy on the inside, yet super embarrassed too.

"Good morning, Jay." Ashley says, embarrassed.

"Did you sleep good?" James asks, trying to ease the tension.

"Yeah, I was really comfy." Ashley replies with a smile. "Thank you for last night again. A hug like that was just what I needed." She says, grinning.

"No problem, I really didn't even think about it, I just jumped up and all of a sudden I was hugging you." James admits.

Ashley's stomach growls and they both burst out laughing.

"I think my body's trying to tell me I'm ready to eat." she says, laughing.

"And mine is telling me have to go pee." James says, dying of laughter.

Ashley bursts out laughing again, and gets off the bed and stands up, and James stands up and goes into the bathroom. As Ashley is standing there, still laughing, she notices that something feels weird. She looks around, trying to figure out what it is, then she suddenly realizes and her face gets bright red again.

She took her jeans off last night!

She bursts out laughing, half in embarrassment and half laughing because she didn't immediately realize her pants were off. Then another thought enters her mind. She'd been sleeping all night with them off! When she was crying and James came over they were off! When James put her on his lap, they were off! Cuddling together the whole night. They were off! She grabs her jeans and puts them on while James is still in the bathroom.

"Oh. My. Goodness." Ashley says to herself in sheer embarrassment. "Well, maybe he didn't notice." Oh, how she hoped he didn't notice.

James opened the bathroom door and walked over to her.

"There. Now I'm better." He says with a laugh. "Now are you ready to go eat breakfast?"

Ashley follows James downstairs. He didn't look surprised when he came out of he bathroom and she had jeans on. That was good. Maybe he hadn't noticed.