Chapter 53

James wraps an arm around Ashley and quickly pulls her towards a door. He opens the door and finds it to be a closet. He shoves Ashley in and dashes in behind her, shutting the door just as he hears the office door opening.

Ashley's heart is beating extremely fast. She is on the verge of freaking out, when she feels a pair of arms wrap around her. She glances up and sees James, and starts hugging him extremely tight. This calms down her racing heart a little, because even in the midst of all this craziness, being hugged by James, him wrapping himself around her, she felt safe, secure, protected.

They hear someone enter the room, and papers shuffle as if the person is looking for something. They hear the footsteps get closer and closer to the closet door, and then suddenly....

They stop. James and Ashley strain for any noise, hearts beating out of their chests, arms wrapped around the other squeezing tight. Then they hear footsteps again, but this time they're going away from the closet! Then they hear the door slam.

James let's out an enormous sigh. "Oh thank goodness." He whispers. "That was too close for comfort."

Ashley jumps up and pulls on James' hand. "Come on!" She whispers hurriedly. "Let's get out of here while we can!"

James quickly stands up and opens the closet door, then Ashley runs and opens the window. She climbs out and James follows her. James shuts the window behind him, and when he turns around, he catches a glimpse of Ashley dashing around the corner of the house.

"Ash! Wait up!" He whispers loudly. He follows her, and when he turns the corner he sees Ashley running extremely fast toward the car. He speeds up, throwing all caution aside and chases after her. She gets to the car, flings the back door open and dives inside.

"Ash!" James says as he finally gets to the car. "What's wrong..." He trails off, seeing Ashley curled up in her seat crying. He quickly climbs in beside her, and shuts and locks the door behind him.

"Ashley. It's okay." James says soothingly. "It's okay."

He scoots over till he's right beside her, then he wraps his arms around her and pulls her up onto his lap. He tangles his hand in the back of her hair and pulls her head close to his chest, squeezes her tight and starts running his fingers through her hair, trying to soothe her.

Ashley is curled up, hugging her knees, sobbing. Then, amidst all the tears, she feels the sensation of being picked up, and sat down. Then she feels arms wrap around her, and a hand press into her head. Her face is suddenly pressed up against James' chest, and she feels him playing with her hair.

"You're the best, Jay." Ashely says after a minute as she lifts her head to look at James with tears streaming down her face. "Thanks. I...I just....it's just that..." She says choked up.

James places a finger on her lips and shushes her. "You don't have to say it if you don't want to."

Ashley shakes her head. "Aunt Margaret. She wants my parent's business. That's what this is about. That's why she's a murderer." She says as tears start pouring down again. She lays her head on James' shoulder and closes her eyes.