Chapter 51

Ashley and James stare up at the two figures standing on the front porch, and watch as Jeff reaches forward and bangs on the door.

"I wonder what's gonna happen." Ashley says nervously. James slides over and wraps his arm around her.

"They'll be fine." He says reassuringly. "They both can take care of themselves." He says soothingly, not letting Ashley know that inside he's just as worried as her.

As they stare up at the two figures, seeing them stand side by side, it's hard not to notice the differences between the two. They are both tall, over 6 foot, but that's where the similarities end. Jeff is skinny, Boomer is...well, he's not fat, more like massive. Jeff is clean shaven and has a sharp jawline, Boomer has an enormous beard covering his face. Jeff wears a cowboy hat, Boomer wears a funny sort of flat hat. Jeff wears a crisp tan uniform, Boomer wears a dusty white shirt with suspenders holding up dark brown pants. When Boomer walks, you know and can feel that he's coming, the way he lumbers along. When Jeff walks, he's light on his feet, agile, seemingly ready to jump at a moments notice. But on the inside, the men are barely different at all. Both are loving, kind, protective, have a strong sense of justice and are ready to do their most to make things right. It's sort of comforting to Ashley and James, knowing that such men were right there with them. They wouldn't rather have anyone else.

Slowly the front door opens. They see Boomer take off his hat as he's talking, and they wish they could hear what he's saying. Then Boomer walks into the house and Jeff follows, throwing a glance back over his shoulder at James and Ashley. Then he shuts the door behind him.

"I wonder what they'll find out..." Ashley says, breaking the tense silence in the car.

"I can't imagine Aunt Margaret will tell them much..." James says reluctantly. "Why would she?"

Ashley suddenly gets stiff and grabs James' arm. She looks into his eyes, her own wide with excitement.

"James." She whispers. "I have an idea. Let's go sneak in the house and see if we can find anything. Aunt Margaret's office is right next door to my bedroom."

James eyes get huge. "You want to do what?!?" He whispers quickly back.

"Sneak into the house!" Ashley says proudly.

"We could get killed! Or kidnapped! Or shot! Or..." James spurts out, then he looks at Ashley's face. "But Uncle Jeff said stay put..." He argues. Then a smile plays at the corner of his lips. "Okay. If you really wanna do it, let's go."

"We're not babies." Ashley says with a grin. "We can take care of ourselves. And anyway, they're distracting her."

James and Ashley glance around, and James opens his door and slides out, Ashley following him. He quietly shuts the door, and creeps over to the house. Ashley motions to go around back to climb in her window, and they slowly sneak back there, keeping out of sight of the windows.

Crack!

They freeze in place, still as statues.