⊰❉⊱ 12 ⊰❉⊱

I dropped the stack of new books on my table.

The elevator chimed and locked out the outside world behind me. I moved for the fridge and pulled out a fresh red vial as I scanned the horizon outside the glass. When I was finished I placed my new purchases on one of many bookshelves lining the walls of my living room.

I set the lights on dim and filled the room with low classical music. Humming the melody as I walked to the main room. I'd need to practice these pieces again, Elgar and Chopin were a wonder to play on rainy days... I cast the grand piano a look before deciding against it.

I chose a dense book and threw myself onto the wide L sofa. 

Human Behaviour Psychology a Total Anthology

3,000 pages should be enough for this week... I had yet to study it intently but a certain mortal was giving me cause here. Inside these pages were the science behind reaction and emotion. The finer details exposed.

It wasn't until I started noticing the sky tint darker that I put the book down.

With no muscle cramps, hunger, tiredness or any other ailment it was only too easy to lose track of time. But the details in those pages were mind-blowing. The smallest of actions in mortals reflecting much bigger thoughts at play. Casting ones eyes to the left in speech often the side effect of lying–a rapid choice to deviate from fact and generate a fiction. Pupils dilating when something is attractive or intensely interesting. And then mirroring. The act of the body subconsciously–

My phone started ringing. I shook my new information away and rolled off the sofa onto the balls of my feet. I plucked the phone off the low table reading an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Y–you know. W-when..." a female voice slurred into the phone. "Things jus... go to s-shit?"

It felt familiar but it couldn't possibly be... I cut off the music and focused intently. 

"Who is this?"

I heard a hiccup and frowned. Then a door opening and louder music in the background.

"He fuck-ing caaaame back." She sang down the phone.

He came back. I sighed long and loud. Of course it was her. And now the god damn mortal that had made her work a nightmare was back in London and she was utterly wasted as a result. I glanced at the time. Only 7pm. Anything was possible with mortals.

"Quinn?"

"G-guilty." She giggled profusely over the music.

"Why are you drunk?" I demanded. I started pacing before my windows trying to keep the growl from my voice. "You told me you rarely drink." She had a competitive career and focus not–

"It's n-not about how many sh-ots you take–its the..." She paused, "–yeah no b-uddy keep walking!" She said louder clearly trying to drive away another mortal in her state.

I let another breath leave me in frustration before speaking again.

"Quinn. Where are you?"

"Narnia." She laughed.

I didn't. "I'm serious. You're not in the right mind for–"

"I'm in–the mind for get-ting fuuucked up." She cheered over the music and crowd where ever the hell she was. 

"Listen to me, Quinn. Tell me where–" the call suddenly ended abruptly and I stared at the glass in disbelief. Really. Really?

I tried the number again and it went straight to voicemail. This had to be a joke. A seriously unfunny and entirely moronic joke. I flicked up the copy of her driver's number plate and stormed over to my desk.