⊰❉⊱ 22 ⊰❉⊱

Quinn watched me as we entered the lift and went up instead of down. I could feel the questions burning in her which made me smirk.

"Ask me."

"Where will all your things go? Those paintings..." She trailed off, frowning at the single duffle bag I slung over my shoulder. I glanced at her.

"The same safe storage location I will send all of your things." I answered calmly.

"You–what?" She demanded.

"Honestly, Adams. You didn't really think I would let you leave all your possessions behind without any security?"

She seemed lost for a moment before she shook her head. "You're prepared for everything."

"Everything apart from you." I murmured as the doors opened to the top floor. I caught Quinn's smile in the corner of my eye as I walked the lone corridor towards a set of stairs. I could hear the blades rotating from here.

I pulled open the metal door and held it for Quinn as the wind of the helicopter's blades sent a storm around us. Her hair rushed around her in wild waves and her expression was more that of awe than that of fear. Her heartbeat was certainly dancing in anticipation. 

The city spilled out beyond us in a sea glowing lights in the night. I watched the co-pilot jump out and pull the door open. Quinn approached it hesitantly until I was beside her quickly and took the headsets offered from him. He dropped me a nod in a flight helmet and shades and waited for us.

I hopped in and offered Quinn a hand–who was still staring at the exterior.

"It's not too late to turn around!" I called over the beating blades, with daring challenge in my eyes. A part of me honestly wished she would. Just so that I wouldn't feel so damn responsible if this wasn't what she wanted later–

She met my eyes unflinchingly. Then took my hand and I pulled her close to me, feeling the rush between us and the desperate fire claw at me, before stepping back and gesturing to the flight seat. The co-pilot quickly slid the door closed beside us and rushed around the side. Quinn sat as instructed and I pulled the harness from above and below her into place. It clicked securely and I tightened it–feeling her blood rush a little faster when it constricted. 

I met her eyes briefly and there was a slow smile that returned it. I rolled my eyes and moved back into my own seat without bothering with the harness at all. Quinn eyed me with a brow raise. So I pulled on the headset and tossed her the other. She rushed to catch it in surprise and with a glare.

"Safety first, Adams." I told her through the comm.

"You're not setting a great example!" She quipped back, just as the helicopter began to climb in height.

She gripped her seat suddenly and whipped her head towards the outside world that would grow smaller by the second. I leant forward on my knees until I could place a hand on her knee. Her heart rate was high as the helicopter moved quickly.

"You're safe with me." I told her calmly.

This made her tear her eyes away from the city below and meet my own.

"I know that, detective. It doesn't stop it from being incredible." She told me, casting her eyes back out the window.

I grinned, joining her gaze to the city lights beyond. "Here I was thinking that frantic heartbeat was fear."

"You can expect that when we board the plane." She murmured, continuing to watch miles fly past us in seconds.

"I could always knock you out." I said innocently.