⊰❉⊱ 41 ⊰❉⊱

She slept soundly as we dropped back into Dubai to refuel.

I had no intention to rip her from dreams that were better than the present. I moved soundlessly into the cabin and staff were already greeting me with hot towels and a newspaper. I dismissed the latter and wiped my face briefly.

"I need you to purchase some sleeping tablets for me." I told the flawlessly dressed cabin member, who nodded curtly. "I've had a lot of trouble getting sleep between transfers so something strong please."

"Absolutely, Ms Fletcher. If you need anything else, let us know and we'll do our upmost."

I flashed her a small smile that had no weight to it. She disappeared down the aisle and informed the rest of the crew before opening the exit door and descending the stairs.

"Will Ms Adams require anything?" A steward asked with his hands tucked behind him.

"No." I said flatly, eyeing the tanker pulling up beside the jet. "How long until we're airborne again?"

"We have confirmed take off in forty five minutes, Ms Fletcher." He told me dutifully.

I cut my eyes back to him and nodded. "Thank you for your work over the week."

"Of course." He responded instantly, before smiling once and disappearing back down the cabin. I sighed and dropped into one of the plush cream chairs.

I was not with my thoughts long. The first steward returned in less than fifteen minutes with my requested item. I took it with thanks and slipped the packets into my jacket. Powdered for ease of use on travel. Perfect for combining with drinks. Perfect for mortals that would be better off sleeping when I left this jet.

She would wake in her home and my people would have it furnished like she had never left.

I stared out the window at the rusty sunrise over the desert airport. So many flights. So many lives moving around us. Yet it had to be ours that collided. Now separated once again.

Paragon would have no reason to pursue her once she was out of the picture. Quinn was just another civilian to them with few resources and low influence on the world. She did not influence countries or politics. She did not shape wars or incite great movements.

She was just Quinn.

But she was my Quinn–for a time. I pulled out my phone and stole myself for a few moments. That image I had kept lingered. Those pixels coming together and recreating her. We stood together in that gym. Her green eyes focused on me with that smirk and my own expression was that of a glare in the direction of another mortal. I smiled at it.

"If you wanted a better picture you could have asked."

I almost flinched out of my seat. Her laugh was quiet and still full of sleep. But her ruffled hair and complexion were just as effortlessly beautiful.

"How do you do that?" I accused, turning in my seat. "I can hear your heartbeat but not you materialising beside me." I grumbled.

She looked unbothered but amused. She dropped down into the chair across my own.

"Because you were distracted." She said plainly.

I was suddenly very aware of the sleeping powder in my jacket pocket. I shifted in my seat and tried to get comfortable. Quinn was watching the runway outside silently. I watched her beat a rhythm with her fingers against the arm before I flagged down the attendant for breakfast.

She was distracted the entire time. Barely ate and ordered two coffees. I could not blame her actions. I couldn't even fault her choice in caffeine but her plan was flawed. If she thought she would extend this argument past London she was wrong. She would hate me for it but she would be alive.