⊰❉⊱ 20 ⊰❉⊱

I managed to track Will down before he did something morbidly stupid. I slipped into our unmarked car before he had a chance to pull up the hand brake.

"You're late." He grunted, glancing at me as I flicked a hand ahead for him to accelerate.

"Do remember I called in sick earlier." I stated flatly.

He cut me a slightly apologetic look and I smirked in return. We pulled off the curb while the GPS traced a blue dot on the streets ahead.

"You're never sick." He filled the sudden silence, between weaving traffic and tracking the moving target.

"Well, I'm only human after all." I drawled, smiling darkly out the window as people crossed the streets and smoked.

Will growled when a driver ahead didn't move at the lights but wisely didn't make a scene or surround the road in flashing blue lights. I glanced at him. Bags heavier under his eyes, bloodshot and the smell of real coffee was inside the car space for once.

"Are you alright?" I asked slowly.

He cut his eyes at me slightly chaotically before accelerating more. Then sighed deeply and tightened his grip on the stirring wheel.

"I've been... putting a bit more focus on work." He paused and blinked once before speaking. "Caitlin and I are on a break."

"What?" I demanded in genuine shock.

Their hardy relationship was the last thing that I expected to be tested. An equal number of arguments as far as he told me but never rooted issues that couldn't be fixed with a simple nice gesture...

"Yeah–well there it is. Can we get back to tracking these bastards now?" He shot back.

"Your head isn't remotely where it needs to be for this sort of job, Will. Is this why you were so damn desperate–"

"Maybe I am desperate for one thing to go right this week!" He shouted past me, completely to my surprise. Will was a calm and reserved partner. Emotional displays weren't his style at all.

"Stop the car." I said calmly.

He whipped his head to me with a humourless laugh.

"Now." I repeated slowly.

"You've got to be fucking kidding."

"I'm not Will. Stop the car or I take this higher and you have more to worry about than me calling off this lead." I promised with no room to negotiate.

He grit his jaw and glanced at the screen deciding. He took another measured breath and chose the right option. I didn't want to stop him by any other means.

"Look at me." I stated with the same cool.

His tired grey eyes finally met my own.

"Go home."

"But I can't leave this! Not now!" He exclaimed desperately. Too desperately.

"This has nothing to do with the case anymore and you know it. Go home and I will finish this lead myself." I told him without breaking his stare.

"You're my partner–"

"And as your partner I am looking out for your best interest. You've got us this far and now you need some sleep and some time. Go Will."

He stared at me for many more seconds weighing my words. He dragged a hand through his dark hair that slipped onto his forehead before nodding.

"I'm... I'm sorry about tonight. Fletcher."