⊰❉⊱ 37 ⊰❉⊱

"Everyone is staring at you." Quinn murmured, keeping her head low under a hoodie I had pulled out from the guest room–which was more my room than anything else.

I linked my arm with her as if we were nothing more than a meandering couple in the rain. In many ways we were... Only with a different past to those around us. Her warmth bled into my arm through the shirt that was becoming speckled with rain.

"Perhaps they find you more interesting." I responded not noting any of the shocked mortal eyes.

"You've really got to tell me what you were doing here." She said, angling her head towards me.

We drifted towards the stalls with fresh produce. I drew up Aiko's basket in my free hand and left the old woman's yen in my pocket.

"Good evening." I told the man leaning against crate watching a flickering TV news channel. He smacked it making the image clear before turning and bowing briefly with half his attention cast away. It suited me just fine.

"I'll get the shallots if you find the spring onions, Adams." I answered her instead.

I saw her smirk in the corner of my eye and couldn't help but find the change in environment funny too. Chartered jets and five star hotels had nothing on Aiko's famous soup either way.

We collected the supplies and loaded the basket. I left a crisp note on the table without waiting for any change. The mortal called out behind me but I took Quinn's arm again and threw him a wave over my shoulder with the basket in hand.

"So, what are you to this village exactly..? The wandering spirit that never ages?" She drawled, tugging at the chords of her hoodie before glancing at the tree tops around us.

"What was your idea of me before I told you?" I said easily, feeling her pulse quicken.

"A beautiful disaster."

I snorted and she grinned shaking her head.

"You know what I thought... Too fast, too strong... too shamelessly good looking to be one of us mere mortals." She chuckled. I rolled my eyes and let them land on her again.

"It was your fault for showing up at that hideous bar and ordering my drink." I deadpanned.

"I needed to know more about Epsom!" She defended, with false innocence.

"Quinn, you realise I know when you are lying?"

She giggled dropping her head low again and making me want to wrap her into my arms all the same. I scanned the streets instinctively as she tugged my arm along the cobbled streets.

"My life would have been so different if you didn't step in that night."

My blood cooled and I glanced at her. Her eyes were ahead, focused on something far away.

"I could feel the fear you had for him like I was there myself." I answered honestly. "And your heartbeat... I heard it streets away. All the way up to that damned office. He deserved his end." I finished in a detached voice.

She pulled us to a stop and stared at me. My eyes were on Aiko's house ahead, unable to turn the darkness I felt surging under my skin on her.

"You killed him that night." She said, as simply as if it were nothing more than acknowledging it was raining.

I dropped my gaze to her. I still felt my own darkness around her but she wasn't scared. She never truly was around the demon so near.

"Yes."