⊰❉⊱ 7 ⊰❉⊱

"Ten quid." Will announced, slapping down a note. "I'll collect this and yours when we win Fletcher."

"We're not betting. We've barely agreed on playing–" I began.

Then I noticed another note placed down more gracefully and stared at Quinn incredulously. Her green eyes held an unyielding calm under the surface.

Will grinned shamelessly before turning to Jamie and murmuring at a level he thought only they could hear. "Double or nothing mate. The suit has probably never stepped out past the corporate lounge."

Jamie then broke away from their huddle and stuck another ten on the table. I pressed both of my hands on the table slowly. "What happened to your chivalry?"

I wasn't about to let them hustle the woman they had just met to stroke their egos for a night.

Will scoffed and scooped his black fringe back and pointed his beer at me. "If you want to politely step out detective you can. I've seen you play once anyway..." He smirked with a knowing look.

I growled low enough so he wouldn't catch it over the music playing. It's not like I was going to play mortals at any sport and try. That was noticeable. The key to incognito was to be utterly average–

Quinn slipped another ten next to her current one casually and my jaw fell loose.

"Sounds like fun. I haven't played for a while but I think we can manage." She said casually leaning against her cue and taking a sip of gin. My eyes narrowed as I watched her and heard her heart rate that was far too steady. She ignored me entirely and started chalking a cue.

Will and Jamie exchanged a look before laughing and grinning.

"Game on, love." Jamie finished with a wink. "I don't mind buying consolation a round after."

I tightened my grip on the cue involuntarily and stopped when I heard the wood groan under it. Quinn glanced at me with a secretive smile before placing the chalk in my hand. I continued to watch her distrustfully even when her fingers brushed mine with the chalk and my senses became too aware. Her scent suddenly very strong and burning.

"Something tells me that you've done this before." I murmured, briefly rubbing some of the blue powder off on the tip.

She took a slow sip from her drink as the men set the balls in a triangle formation before break. Then she set it down and leant back against the wall watching them as she answered.

"I'm actually the youngest lawyer to practice in my firm." She told me instead.

My curiosity sparked. "Is that because of quick wit?" I returned almost ironically.

"It's because I don't lose." Her eyes met mine and my blood flashed colder again. I noticed the finest details in them. From the darker forest green edges to the lighter more alive central green. Nothing a mortal would see. Her lips twitched slightly under the low light.

"At pool?" I half joked. Trying to calm the dark flow of my own blood that changed and spiked  near this mortal. Trying to un-notice the fine details of her face. The thick, soft scent that kept wrapping itself around me without invitation.

"At everything." She finished with nothing giving her thoughts away.

I watched her pick up her glass again and instantly become another person. A cheerful socialite out enjoying hours off with colleagues. Her personality was going to give me whiplash at this rate...

"Don't worry, we have a double or nothing policy all night." Jamie, smirked leaning his toned arms over the table deliberately. But then he frowned and cleared his throat. "I'm sorry I don't think I caught your name though?" He asked raising an eyebrow.