⊰❉⊱ 15 ⊰❉⊱

I took our unmarked police BMW and took the short drive to her law firm. I'd promised myself this would be quick. That I couldn't just cut away the afternoon with this mortal while I was meant to be tracking more leads on the East end case.

But when I pulled up between the many sleek business cars outside the glass tower she already waited. Her long brunette hair caught in the brisk wind and flapped the tail of her winter trench coat. I hoped she hadn't waited long outside the lobby in a business skirt in mid winter.

I rolled down a window and caught her eyes.

"Taxi for Adams!" I called ironically.

She didn't acknowledge the joke. Her face was etched in a worry that I knew would not be sated easily. She brushed her hair quickly aside and strode over to the passenger side quickly. She slipped in and her scent slapped me hard in the confined space. I hadn't entirely thought this through.

Her green eyes landed on me heavily and I resisted the urge to meet them. She took another breath seemingly to decide on what to say.

"You can't park here long." She said instead. "Let's go somewhere we can talk."

"Your suggestion?" I asked carefully. I certainly wouldn't reveal my own lavish flat overlooking Hyde Park without serious questions–

"My home. Have you got a sat nav?" She asked, glancing at the obvious flat screen between us on the dash. I nodded and touched it before it scanned my face and granted access. My fingers hovered over the search bar while she told me the postcode.

My fingers deftly brushed it in before a blue route lit the screen and I set my hand back on the wheel. As I pulled out she seemed to stare at me more intently. I leaned behind me exaggerating the need for vision and calculation of a pull out–one I could do blindfolded.

"Is there something on my face, Miss Adams?" I murmured, as the car found the road again.

She cleared her throat and moved her gaze ahead of the windshield.

"I have a lot to catch you up on... and not all of it will make sense." She clarified, with so much uncertainty in her voice.

"Why don't you start with what's bothering you the most?" I told her calmly as I watched the road.

"I called you before it all really happened." She murmured. "I was so... distraught and I'm sure I wasn't making sense but it was because my boss–my former boss returned to the office that day." I made sure to keep my eyes ahead and my fingers from tightening too much. "I don't remember what I said to you on the phone but I don't usually drink like that."

I chuckled briefly and glanced at her. Her forest green eyes were already tracing my face for emotions. For anything.

"Nothing you said was of great embarrassment, if that's what you're concerned about–"

She shook her head and pressed down on her pencil skirt to right it under the winter coat.

"That wasn't my concern. He didn't treat me well and I am not trying to pry into your investigation regarding him but... god I didn't expect it to end like this."

I caught her eyes again giving nothing away. Playing too dumb was in itself suspicious. But his death had been printed across every headline.

"Again. I made him believe that this city was no longer his best option. He did not heed that advice." I stated matter of factly.

Her brows pinched at my words and I turned back to the touch screen to see were now ten minutes from Quinn's residence. I still hadn't taken a breath inside the confines of the car.