Phase 1: Beauty Kills

She was an enigma.

A hauntingly beautiful figure standing by the drinks table, her long, black locks of hair tumbling over her shoulder like a waterfall he could stare at forever.

Montega found himself drawn to her from all angles, like a lost cavern explorer drawn to a sliver of light, like a moth to a candle, like a dwarf planet circling a star. 

He walked towards her, absentmindedly talking to the others at the soiree as he pushed past them. She looked up towards him, her playful eyes glittering in the chandelier light while her rosy lips delicately sipped at her champagne, and Montega could swear there was a hint of a smile.

She was an enigma, a mystery. He was curious, infatuated, he wanted to charm her as much as she charmed him.

Yet, as soon as he reached the drinks table through the bustling of the others, he found her presence gone.

It was like this all night. 

She was like a young, elegant ghost; breathtaking and not fully there, disappearing as soon as he came close, drifting amongst the edge of the party.

This woman would be the death of him.

Montega bit his lip, searching all around the ballroom to see if he could spot her again. His eyes caught a flash of the woman's navy blue dress near the balcony, and he quickly hurried over, not willing to let her go again. 

He was going to trap this ghost.

Skidding to a halt when he saw her awaiting figure leaning against the marble railing, Montega sighed and ran a hand through his hair, unable to stop his heart from pounding.

"Do I intrigue you that much, sir?" She lilted, her eyes even more beautiful up close. Montega's breath hitched in his throat, and he caught himself from staring too long.

"Perhaps so, madam. I believe we have never met before." He smoothly replied, staring down at her. Now that he was in close proximity to such a presence, he wasn't able to pull away. He was a doomed, doomed planet being sucked into a black hole. "Gale Montega, at your service."

He bent over and kissed her dainty hand, marveling at how it fit perfectly into his. Perhaps this was meant to be.  He straightened up again, watching as a smirk plastered even further onto her face.

God, he was done for.

"To whom do I owe the pleasure?" He feigned confidence, a dazed half smile over his face as he continued drinking her in, up and down, like a pina colada from his private island juice bar.

"To someone invisible to the world." The woman replied, winking at him in such a way that made Montega's heart burst into butterflies.

"Well, you certainly aren't invisible, at least not to me."

A waiter happened by and she grabbed two more champagne glasses, gently handing him one. She swirled around the drink in her glass, looking up at him through her lashes. 

This woman would be the death of him.

"Oh? How so?"

"Your radiance shone through the soiree, m'lady, if you don't mind me saying."

"Oh, no, please. Say more." Her voice came through softly, seductively, and Montega found himself falling further down the spiraling rabbit hole. 

He drank his champagne, licking his lips as he humored her, a twinkle in his eye. He raised a hand, as if he was quoting Shakespeare, and the lady giggled.

"You intrigue me indeed. Finding a way to be in your presence was like chasing a spirit across the nine realms. You were like a beautiful game creature and I, the hunter, trying ever so hard to trap you in my arms."