Phase 1: The Beginning of Their End

Smiling, she watched as the blue uniformed man walked down the dim dark side road, walking to his car in the otherwise empty parking lot.

His badge flashed in the moonlight as he leaned over, jamming his car key into the lock on his door handle and twisting sharply.

Aria jumped down from her perch in the shadows, her cloak fluttering behind her silently as she landed on the ground with a muted thud.

The man turned around, eyes squinting as he heard the noise, later waving it off as a sound of the wind.

She sleekly melted into the darkness, approaching the man until she was just a breath's width away from him and she planted the gun into his back.

Pure fear broke out over his face, and he gasped in surprise, face draining of blood. 

"Please. Don't-" 

Aria ignored his panic as her finger tightened around the trigger. 

The bullet tore through his lungs and straight through his trachea, sending blood bubbling up his throat and the man crumpling to his knees.

He gasped, fighting for breath, and Aria tilted his chin up with the end of the gun. 

"Nothing against you, personally. I just need to hit a little close to home." She whispered, locking her eyes with his. 

The man went limp as he became soaked in his own blood, and Aria chuckled, tossing the gun into a dumpster. She had already framed the CEO of Bludhaven Waste Management for this cop's murder, having planted the other guns at his penthouse, so it was all easy sailing for her.

Then again, it always was. That was just how she was trained.

She looked down at her cloak and scrunched her nose.

"Idiot. You've got your filthy blood on me." She mused, ripping off her cloak and walking with it down a few blocks, to where the docks were. Tossing it into the cold ocean waters, Aria bared her teeth up at the sky, excitement and adrenaline rushing through her veins.

She knew that when they find the cop, they would canvas the crime scene at least a few blocks in all directions. She knew that now, they would be fully alert. 

Now they would be the easier to mess with.

 Smiling as she tasted the faint coppery smell in the air, she plucked a single hair from her head and let it float to the ground.

****************************************************************************

Dick's face paled as he looked at the victim's face on the Batcomputer.

"That's my boot. My rookie. I was his training officer."

Tim worked away on his laptop, analyzing the tidbits of evidence that he managed to snag before the cops could. He had been the first to the scene, surprisingly, only because he was passing by through Bludhaven.

Dick stumbled to a seat, unable to believe it. 

Damian frowned, heading over to his big brother. "We have got to stop this serial killer. You could be next."

Dick muttered something unintelligible, rubbing at his face a few times before strengthening his resolve and jumping out of his seat.

 "Where's B?"

Damian scoffed, amused. "On a date. With Kyle."

"I'll tell him what happened." Dick muttered, pulling out his phone and dialing his number.