Phase 4: We All Fall Down

"Ring around the Rosie,"

Aria had watched her younger self giggling and dancing through the empty, foreboding Manor halls.  The dance of bare feet frolicking against cool marble, the flow of her lace dress like a kaleidoscope of crisp butterflies circling, dipping, diving up and around her once bony legs, hypnotic.

Such a beautiful ghost, she was.

"A pocket full of posies."

Spinning around and around, once a diamond unscathed by the world around her, a pulsating green light encasing her heart. Radiating outwards like a parasite, a growing virus, green tendrils full of rage and insanity shattering her from the inside out. Glittering prettier than the shining chandelier above.

"Ashes, ashes,"

Outside, her world burned. The city cowered under her incendiary generosity, red pouring into the streets, orange of the domed night sky, yellow glow of the streetlights that illuminated her chaos.

"We all fall down."

She stood alone in the Manor, having killed her favorite brother's time remnant and bringing the original him to stay in the bunker, eyes falling to the old ivory door, her fingers grazing the cold, polished  doorknob. Behind her, her wings of deadly green lattice flickered around her, lighting up the hall with an eerie glow.

"Halt! You dare intrude the Wayne Manor?" 

The crack of a shotgun, a sharp pain grazing her shoulder. Aria didn't flinch in the slightest, didn't make a single sound, her blue-green eyes flitting over to lock with steel blue eyes, a thousand words behind each of her colors.

The thud, the drop of the gun to the floor, nothing but utter disbelief, pain, grief behind that old familiar face.

What delicious emotions. But Aria suppressed her villain's hunger, the void in her heart growing ever so large.

"Miss Aria," A breathy whisper, tears cracking his voice and sending each broken piece into her soul like daggers.

Aria didn't move, didn't stop the butler from running towards her, didn't stop the man from foolishly throwing his arms around her and tugging her close.

Funnily enough, he smelled exactly the same as she remembered. Like crisp laundry, a hint of vanilla cake and a whiff of some posh cologne. 

She let him sob into her shoulder, let him rejoice in her return, let him trail his fingers up her sleeve to find them drenched with the blood of innocents. Let him look up in the flickering emerald light, into her dark unreadable eyes, her blank expression.

"One more score to settle." She found herself whispering to the butler, who shakily cupped her face, his eyes screwing shut as he tried to forget the image of what Aria did all these years.

"One more score, then you can come take me home."

Her flickering wings of lightning slowly curled towards him, as if giving him a tender embrace. And with a flash, she was gone, leaving a shaky Alfred standing in a dark hallway, crumpling to his knees, trying his best to muffle his heart wrenching sobs.

*******************************************************************************************

The Batmobile screeched to a stop, and he jumped out, panic in his veins. He'd gotten the group text from Red Hood, passing an explosion on a rooftop. 

But he couldn't go see what was in that blast, just hoping to God that there were nobody there. 

Behind him, a yellow polka-dotted ribbon floated to the ground, smoldering, fading to ashes.