Phase 2: Digging Up Dead Girls

"Happy birthday to me,"

Soft, whispered words in the dead of the night, the silver light of the moon spilling over her hair and the tiny, meager cupcake she managed to salvage from the rampage of hungry brothers.

"Happy birthday t-to me."

She sniffled, rubbing her red nose as her watery eyes stared at the  mini cupcake with a single lit candle. It was so small, the weight of the inch-long candle was causing it to tip over, and so she held it her palm. 

She shivered in the nighttime, pulling her blanket around her shoulders as she stared out the window onto the city below, watching as a distant figure of a Bat  and a primary-colored bird disappeared behind a building.

"Happy b-birthday, d-dear A-Aria."

Lonely tears rolled down her cheeks, and she bit back a sob. In the distance, the others' snores echoed through the Manor.

She'd expected at least a hug from someone, anyone, on her birthday. It was Damian's too, and he'd gotten a little gift in the Batcave, from what she could decipher. She hadn't gotten anything. Nobody had breathed a word in her direction.

Was she really that worthless?

Alfred was gone for the weekend, was that why they forgot her too?

So lonely. So pathetic, sitting in the dark of midnight as a stupid mini cupcake struggled to hold up the weight of the wax and flame, the only one awake in what felt like a sleeping world.

"Happy b-birthday to m-me."

Quiet, so quiet. 

And it was so dark, the black swallowing her whole and leaving nothing behind, not like anyone would ever notice.

Jay would. But he was gone too, not a word breathed by him either.

"Are you one? Are y-you two? Are you t-three?" 

Sniffling and gulping in air as she counted up to her age.

"A-Are you four? A-Are you five?"

She understood why Tim and Duke and Dick would forget, but Jay? The only brother that said he loved her?

"Are you s-six? A-Are y-you s-seven? A-Are you e-eight?"

And she had no idea how her own twin forgot either.

"Are you n-nine? A-Are y-you t-ten?"

Her own father? She didn't expect anything at all from him anymore, but Damian should've been a living reminder. Did he forget she existed? Wouldn't be the first time.

"A-Are you e-eleven?"

She stopped and blew out the candle, jaw setting shut as the cupcake toppled over in her palm.  She wiped her cheeks and threw out the cake, stomach uneasy as more salty tears trailed down her face.

"A-At least you remembered." She whispered to the Great Dane, who was lying on his stomach, brown eyes staring up at her. 

Titus let out a soft whimpering sound, scrambling to his feet and  skittering over to her, licking her face.  Aria let out a wobbly smile, hugging the huge dog to her.

"At least someone remembered." She whispered again, fingers clinging to the black fur, listening to the heartbeat of the only one who cared.