Phase 2: Prelude

"Damian, let me in!"

"Damian, Damian, Damiannn!"

"Come on, Damey, you can't keep me out of there forever! Tell me what's wrong!"

"YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND, YOU GOOD-FOR-NOTHING FREAK! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT'S LIKE!"

She froze, her hand dropping from the locked doorknob in shock. Damian's warmth from leaning against the door was gone, and Aria blinked away the tears in her eyes.

"I'll go make you a sandwich, okay?"

Her voice was small, broken, and Damian immediately wished he could take back his words, but his pride stepped in the way.

She scurried away softly, another bit of her heart cracking away, spilling crimson with every step.

Damian opened the door, stepping out into the empty hall, the cold from her absence chilling into his bones. He shivered slightly, and he wanted to cry out her name, get her to stop.

His mouth sewed itself shut with the threads of pride and shame.

Somewhere, somehow, he hoped that Aria knew that he was sorry. 

Oh, how wrong he was to hope instead of factualize.

*******************************************************************************************

 Bruce returned home, harried after receiving hundreds of texts from a frantic Timothy and Dick.

Damian had pulled out Aria's case board, and Jason was in the Cave for the first time in years.

"What did you... what did you find?" 

Bruce heart wrenched at the sight of Aria's wide smile on the Batcomputer screen, feeling the bittersweet love swell up in his chest.

"She's a-alive. Out there."  Tim murmured, sniffling just a bit. Dick looked blank, which was surprising, considering the man was the least emotionally-stunted out of all of them there.

Dick didn't know what to feel. Should he be happy that she's still alive after everything she's been through? Should he be sad for that exact same reason? Should he be angry at the world for taking her away, or angry at himself for not bringing her home? 

But what he did know was that the tiny ember of hope that he kept alive for 5 years was finally igniting into a blaze, razing through the forest of despair that they had all been lost in. Lighting up the darkness, giving them drive to move forward, to push on, to find her.

Bruce had spent so long in the dark he didn't remember what light looked like.  His whole childhood, in the dark. The years without Jason, in the dark. The presumed-death of Aria, in the dark.

But now as he saw the determined faces of his sons, as he saw the way Timothy lit up and started working hard on the serial-killer cases, how Damian threw aside everything and started gearing up to grab more intel with Jason, he realized that now he was in the brightest of lights.

The light of unbridled hope.

Blinding.

Beautiful.

*****************************************************************************

Lightspeed, the newest speedster. Bloodbath, the nickname given to the serial killer. The resurfacing of Aria's cold case, the murder of the Bludhaven rookie cop, the framing of the CEO of a waste management company with high tech, underground weapons, the VX nerve agent used to kill Montega.