Scrutiny

This is the first chapter with all the (students') perspective. Hope I didn't miss anything, I edited it half-asleep. If there are any mistakes, PM me and let me know!

Happy Reading!

“Ugh! I give up!” Celeste sighed, slamming the book closed.

“Again?” Lily asked her, amused.

“Again.”

“It’s not really that hard, you know.”

“Easy for you to say. You go through the books like I go through magazines.”

Lily laughed. “Well, if you want, I could help you out.”

Celeste shook her head. “It’s alright Lily. Don’t worry about me. I’ll figure something out.”

Lily looked at her for a moment and then returned to her studies. Celeste opened her textbook again, trying to focus. But the words would jumble up and she couldn’t make any sense out of them. There were two problems, namely the subject aka history which she didn’t like as it put her to sleep. The second problem, which would jerk her awake after history had worked its magic, was Donald. Every time she closed her eyes, her mind would replay the kiss. She sighed as she thought about it.

“Donald! What? Why?” These were the only coherent words that she could speak after she pushed him away.

“I told you. I care about you, Celeste.” He said, breathless and red. Just like she was.

“But...but...”

“I know it’s sudden. I think...I surprised myself too.” He said, scratching the back of his head.

“You kissed me!” Celeste said. She still couldn’t believe it.

Donald looked at her funny but didn’t say anything for a while. Then he looked at her with a serious look and said, “I like you, okay? I don’t know if you do like me or not; but I had to tell you so I did.” He paused and his next words were laced with nervousness. “If...if you ever think that you return my feelings then just...just let me know, okay?”

Celeste nodded. Her voice-box seemed to be on a temporary vacation.

“Great. Then I’ll just go.” Donald said, but he didn’t make any attempt to actually follow his words. May be he was just as flustered as she was. May be more so. He was Donald after all: the most shy, serious guy she knew.

Then as if he realised that his words and his actions were contradictory, he gave her a small smile and disappeared. Not literally of course, but he left so fast; that it seemed that way.

Celeste had returned to her room after snapping out of her daze and found Lily asleep. She plopped down on her own bed. But sleep wouldn’t come, no matter how hard she tried.

She sighed yet again as the flashback ended. Her feelings had been in a constant turmoil since then. A part of her was still bewildered. Another part was wondering about why it had taken her several moments to break the kiss. Yet another part was warning her.  Warning her not to get too close.

She closed the book once again and stood up.

“I’m going out to get a bit of fresh air.” She told Lily as she left. Lily nodded without looking away from her book. Celeste smiled at her friend. She was so dedicated.

She went out towards the garden, walking to nowhere in particular. Unknowingly, her feet had let her to the camellia shrub they had planted in memory of Tara. It had grown up since then and a couple of pale red flowers were scattered all over the shrub.