Battle - III

Hello again! Your girl is back after like 5 years or so. More deets on my quote-unquote disappearance after the chapter if you're curious. As always, happy reading. 

Samantha wasn't sure what exactly had happened. She'd felt her control slipping as she was choking the fire User with her element - terrified that in trying to save her students from this threat, she might become their next one.

Just when she was sure she could hold on no longer, she'd felt this feeling of inexplicable calm surround her, as if her core, her very soul was being cocooned in warmth. She blinked through the dust that was settling down as a result of her attack and saw the ash blue light. A Spiritus?

And yet this one felt different from Dawson or Aemilia - rather raw and unrefined but undoubtedly powerful. Looking around, she found the source. Celeste hunched over the Erde boy, Donald - a desperate plea in her words and then soon after, respite breaking through.

Samantha closed her eyes, sighing in relief. She'd come to close to slipping herself. That itself  would leave an unseen scar etched on her but she didn't have the time to mull it over. For now, the war was still ongoing. So, she took a deep breath and made her way towards the now unconscious Fȳr User.

******

Celeste was clutching onto Donald, unaware of the soft light surrounding them both. All she cared about was that he was okay. She did register feeling a little light-headed and spent though.

"Celeste, oh my lord, you did it!! You defeated him!", she heard Penelope. She had what now?

"You okay?" Donald sat up and held her close. She clutched onto him a little harder - careful not to hurt him any further. Then again, he actually looked okay - just a little shaken.

Penelope sat on her side, took Celeste's hand in hers. "Was that the element of spirit?"

Spirit? That's when she noticed the now dissipating blue light and this new foreign and yet familiar...connection to the element.

"I-what?" It was rare for her to be lost for words.

Kai joined them soon enough, the fight seemingly halted for now. He said gently, "It seems like your affinity for Spirit was triggered from seeing him hurt", he said, nodding at Donald. "It was beautiful, you know. The light."

"Oh." was all she could manage to say. Too many emotions were passing by her. But even through them, she could feel it - this soft but strong element inside her. Spirit.

"We need to take you two to the infirmary", Geoff said as he started to help them up. She didn't want to let go of Donald. She couldn't put her finger on it but she could sense that there was something he wasn't telling her.

"He's right", Donald said softly, taking her hands in his. "Go"

"But your injuries, and...and the professor-"

"I'm okay actually." He said, moving his hands around with wonder on his face. "I feel good." Then why would he just look at her?

"She's okay too", Penelope nodded towards their Professor, her voice tinged with relief. Professor Sam was now bent over the User. Jake was standing over too, anger and grief painted over his face. Colours floated above him now - red and this deep, dark blue making the most of them. Aura, she realised with a start. She could see his aura. Her element reared back up again, but her exhaustion took over instead and she realised she really did need some rest.

And yet, with the realisation that she could help so many of her friends with her newfound element, it was a difficult decision to make. The worry on her surrounding faces did it for her though.