A Deadly Encounter

The dedication because she helped me with many ideas for this chapter. You guys should really check out her story- 'Mystic High'. You will not be disappointed.
I wish we could dedicate a chapter to two people. But then it's not like this is the last chapter.

Happy Reading!

"No, no, no! Stop." Said Professor Sam as she stood with her hands on her hips. "Just where is your focus, Lillian?"

"I'm sorry Professor." Said Lillian.

Professor Sam should cut the poor girl some slack, thought Karen. She had just lost a friend after all. It had been almost a week since the girl had died and it was too soon for anyone to move on. Lillian looked as if a light had left her. She didn't know Tara much, although she did remember that she had almost hit her with a rock on the first day; but she did know that she was a good friend of Lillian which was the only reason Karen had made an appearance in the mourning. The redhead had grown on her. Lillian still seemed human which was better than Samuel. He looked like a zombie. He could barely function and he hardly talked to anyone apart from Ian. It was to be expected, after all Tara was his girlfriend. Speaking of which, her own boyfriend had been distant from her for some time now. Not that it was killing her mind you; she had plenty to choose from. She also knew that he was dating Summer too. He thought that they didn't know but Karen was not stupid. Summer was a different matter.

"Look, Lillian. I know it has been hard for you but you can't go on like this. The threat won't go away. Each day the Users grow strong. They need to be taken out. All we can do is take out the lone ones. You realise that don't you?" Prof Sam said.

"Yes."

Professor looked on at her. A moment later she said, "You need a break. Go, we will meet next week again."

Lillian nodded and all but rushed from the room.

"I feel really bad for the girl. I understand how bad it is for her."

Karen looked at the professor closely. Her eyes held pain which was surprising for all one could see in them was happiness or if one had pissed her off, anger.

"You do?"

"Yeah. My roommate had died too when I was a student here. I had locked myself in my room for two days." She said and shook her head. "At least she's stronger."

Karen couldn't imagine that. Had Prof Sam really done that? She was one of the strongest people she knew.

"Should I come tomorrow then?"

"No. We will continue next week. I was hoping you guys could meet your team next week but that would have to wait."

"Oh." Karen cursed. She really wanted to meet her new team. Nevertheless, she could wait. She nodded at the professor and left the room as well. For some reason, her feet were leading to the place she knew she would find Lillian. The girl always went there; Karen had seen her couple of times.

She looked up at the oak tree and sure enough, Lillian was sitting on one of the branches, looking somewhere in the distance. The oak had branches low enough to climb and Karen made her way towards the branch and sat down, leaning back on the trunk.

"Hey."

Lillian whirled and her eyebrows went up when she actually noticed her. She was that lost in her thoughts.

"Hey. Look...I'm sorry about today. I just-"

"It's alright." Karen cut her off.

"Really?"

Apparently, Karen seemed heartless to other people. She sighed and said, "Yeah. Look, I can't exactly understand what you're going through but I can imagine. Losing a friend must be hard."