Fair Enough

The dedication because her compliments make my day. Well, days really.

Thank you! I'm glad you like this story so much. This chapter is for you. I hope you like it. :)

Happy Reading!

Celeste was slightly hurt that Lily hadn't told her about the affinity, but she did understand that her friend didn't really have an option. When the headmistress of the Academy asks you to keep something to yourself, you do it without question.

She shivered. And it was not for the first time. She supposed that a first encounter with a User would do that to anyone. The fact that he had once been a hudōr was even more unsettling. His power had been off the charts. Even then, she had sensed that it still had the remnants of his affinity; he wasn't completely controlling the element and he wasn't calm and stoic like the Users were supposed to be, she could sense his anger in his waves; which was the only way she had been able to tell that he was recently turned.

 They huddled together, each wary. They reached the Academy and went straight to the headmistress’s office. In their hurry, they had forgotten to knock the door. Nevertheless, one look at their faces and Professor Emsworth had told them to sit down and tell her what happened. Lily told her about the whole incident, with Bria’s and Celeste’s inputs. Once they were finished, a solemn look overtook Prof Emsworth’s face.

“If you have been attacked this close to the Academy, then I suppose the situation is worse than we thought.”

They looked at each other.

“What situation?” Celeste asked.

Prof Emsworth sighed and began, “A month ago, there had been a confrontation between some of the professors and two Users. Even the eliminare teams have reported a slight rise in the numbers. If this goes on, we can’t ignore the fact that the Users’ strength increases each day.” She paused and a look of apprehension passed over her face. “We might have another Elemental War on our hands in the future.”

No one spoke for several moments. Bria broke the silence.

“How far along in the future? And what can we do?”

“The Users will take their time, they need to come together. Given their fickle moods and ego issues, I reckon they’d need a couple of months, maybe more. As for what you students can do, train yourselves. Aim to become better, to get into one of the eliminare teams. There’s no time to lose.”

Headmistress stood up and said, “I need to relay this information to the others. The time for training will be increased. There’s no other way.”

They nodded at her and left the office.

“Lily, I totally need to get in a team.” Celeste said, determined.

Bria nodded. “So do I.” She said.

“Given with what I've seen today. You two should be able to convince your professors that you are good enough for one.” She stopped and looked at both of them. “You two are strong. All you have to do is prove that.” Then she sighed. “And I have to go look for someone. I’ll catch you guys later.”

She waved her goodbye and Celeste knew where she had to go. She turned to Bria and said, “I’m going to our training room.”

Bria smiled at her and said, “So am I. It’s time we prove that we are good.”

“We aren't just good, Bria.” Celeste corrected her friend. “We are kick-ass.

He held a flame in his hand. It burned blue, like the purest of fire should. It had taken him days and hours to perfect it and now he had. His concentration was broken by the distinct calling of his name. He sighed. He had perfected the flame but had not yet been able to use it well. What good is a flame if it can’t burn a User? Or more specifically, a User whom he wanted to burn, his father.