CHAPTER 16

The D-DAY

Emmaliese POV

Life and Death are a part of each other. They are like dusk and dawn. Like moon and sun. They are the beginning and end of each other.

Life and Death are the soulmates that could never be together despite being so intricately intertwined with each other.

Life and Death are like me and Caius.
One is living from the centuries. The other born to die.

My heart was thumping rapidly against my chest moments ago, halted all of a sudden by his one look. My blood erratically pulsating, like waves crashing against the shore, turned electric under the scrutiny of his gaze.

The pure white snow in perfect contrast with his crimson eyes and dark attire. My mate was indeed looking like the graceful King he was or more like a young Prince, charming yet deadly.

It was hard to decipher his expression clearly, all the way from where I was standing a few centimetres behind Bella, but I knew he was seeing red the moment the grey wolf of Seth emerged out of the back and stood right beside me.

Edward's eyes moved from Caius to me and Seth, his expression a synonym of horror.

I tried stealing a glance at Caius but immediately looked down, fidgeting with my fingers, the moment I saw my mate's deadly sneer along with the curious eyes of the two other kings.

"Aro let's dicuss things as we used to. In a civilized manner." Carlisle spoke, moving forward.

"Fair words Carlisle. But a little out of place, considering the batallion you have assembled against us." I wonder how in a war like state, Aro was able to speak so musically. Yet it didn't help with the fear creeping up on me.

In all these past days, I was trying my best to stand strong but right now, with hundreds of vampires and wolves, my confidence was wavering rapidly. Emotions were building up inside me.

I didn't want to lose anyone.

"We see the child. Do not treat us as fools." the voice I was longing to hear from so long, now reached my ears in a menacing tone.

Closing my eyes, I inhaled deeply, before looking up to see Caius' accusatory sight fixated on Carlisle, who was trying his best to forefeight any chances of a war from happening but clearly, the Volturi were not buying any of it.

All the probable consequences ran through my mind, making me zone out of the situation multiple times. Concententration at the moment was much needed, yet hard to achieve, with so much at stake.

"Artifice." Caius deadpanned.

"I will collect every facet of the truth. But from someone more central to the story," Aro's eyes danced between Edward, Bella and Renesmee.  "Edward, as the child clings to your new born mate, I assume you are involved."

Nodding, Edward moved forward to give Aro his hand. His slow steps, heightened my anxiety even more.

I looked down, taking slow, deep breaths to calm my insides from exploding. Having a panic attack at such a crucial moment didn't seem like an appropriate option, yet I was just moments away from encountering one, especially when Aro wished to meet Renesme.