CHAPTER 23 (Part II)

Warning: unedited version

Emmaliese POV

Days were dragging in Volturi Palace or more like I was shouldering them, toiling through each day. My medical condition didn't worsen and that was perhaps the only relief. Other than that, I was bored out of my bones.

Caius would cuddle me every night so at least nights were not a problem. Except one night when he didn't come and I was unable to sleep alone, so I just let Jane escort me to the throne room, where he was with his brothers.

Wearing a silky baby blue night suit with Caius' red scarf secured around my neck, rose gold hairs falling in messy waves on my back, almost reaching my hips, with  droopy eyes and in a clearly exhausted state, I padded inside the throne room, where the three Kings were around a large, mahogany table, surrounded by brown chairs with red cushion seat. Some books were scattered on the table while the Kings were having one in their hands, respectively.

I plopped down on one of the chairs, right beside Caius', my gaze wandering on all the books lying on the table. Although they did appear old, probably some were ancient, but surprisingly not a single one of them was looking worn out. Black ink was spread across the vintage, pale brown pages, in beautifully italicised words. Some of them were in English while some were in a language I had not a single clue about. Nonetheless, for a bookworm like me, they looked beautiful.

"What are you doing here, amore?" Caius asked.

I put my head on the table, cheeks resting against the cold wood, eyes admiring the blonde beauty in front of me, sitting on a chair with one leg supported on the other, red eyes boring at me. "I couldn't sleep."

"Is there is something troubling you, Miss Emmaliese?" Aro enquired.

"Noooo," I answered. "I don't know. I just couldn't fall asleep. You mind if I sit here for a while."

"Sure, Miss Emmaliese. Although I would like to argue that a good night sleep is very essential for humans" Aro voiced out his concern.

I just hummed in response and closed my eyes. Though sleep was still very much foreign, at least closing my eyes helped me find peace or so I thought.

A few minutes later, I opened my eyes to see Caius gazing back at me. We were trapped in a long eye contact and something must have transferred between us because the next thing I knew, Caius gestured me to come to him, more specifically pointed at his lap.

I compelled though, not thinking twice as I dragged my semi tired body towards him and plopped down on his lap, my legs were on one side, my hands clutched on his silk shirt and my head lying on his chest.

I tried to decipher what was written on the book that he was reading but the figures were of a language I'd never seen in my life before.

"What language is it?" I asked.

"Portugese."

I tilted my head to stare at him. "How many languages do you know?"

"Almost all of the languages in the world." his words left me baffled.

"That's so cool. I wanna learn new languages too." I pouted, which he didn't see.

"That's great, amore."

After brooding hard on something, I finally blurted out the words stuck in the back of my throat. "Will you teach me? Let's start with Italian."

His immediately looked down at me giving him my best puppy eyes look. A small smile graced his face as he nodded "Sure."

I could tell he was happy that I wanted to learn his language. It was clear he loved Italian more than English.