Chapter 27

I had always been someone with a sensitive nose. Even the mildest of scents often be too strong for me. I could easily identify things with their scent or odour.

Just like blood.

I can't smell blood, it makes me nauseous. It's characteristic 'salt sprinkled over rusted iron' smell never failed to leave a metallic taste in my mouth.

I can't see blood.

It's too chaotic. It's deep red colour spread over pale bodies resembling nothing but demon's spawns. It's liquid consistency, constantly flowing, leaving behind agonizingly painful tingles.

I never grew up with blood. I always had a lack of it in my own body.

I can't grow up with blood. It was the reason, I was slowly dying.

Polar opposite.

Poles apart.

That's what we were.

Me and my mate.

Though he opened up to me to some extent, I still wasn't able to comprehend what his life was before me.

As Athenodora said and I quote,

"when you weren't even the part of this world, probably not even your ancestors were alive at that time. Since that long, I have been beside my husband. Since that long we have been together."

How was I possibly suppose to match with that?

His time was frozen.

My time was running out.

******

These were the thoughts running in my mind when I went to bed that night. And of course the events that followed after that 'conversation'.

"I grew up seeing dead and blood. I slept listening to screams."

I was speechless for a few minutes before gulping down and saying the most stupidest thing I could ever.

"Okay."

He of course raised a perfect brow at it. "Okay?" A deep chuckle left him, resonating with the swish of the wind. "You fascinate me oh so much, kállos."

{κᾰ́λλος (noun)- ancient Greek word for beauty}

Was that Italian? I don't think so. I still hope he wasn't swearing at me.

"Out of the topic but...," I hesitated a bit before phrasing my next sentence. "Would you mind..... showing me how you hunt?"

Was that a safe request?

Scratch that. Was that even something to ask from a vampire?

But there I did it.

If my life would be a movie, curiosity would be in the cast list as secret villain #1.

"Are you sure?" he asked with eyes a little darker than red now.

I hastily, nodded.

And another chuckle left him.

"As I said, you fascinate me so much, ómorfi gynaíka."

{όμορφη γυναίκα - Greek word for beautiful woman}

Another strange word. 'What's with this new language, huh? Can't he just stick to Italian?' I thought again. Then again the man knew almost all the languages in the world. What did I even expect?