CHAPTER 23

Emmaliese POV

Reminiscing over nineteen years of my life, I found that I hadn't lived it at all, up until the Victoria and her vampire army fiasco. Before that I was just running away. I was running away from being the 'only albino girl in the area' tag. I was running away from being the only one who befriended the anti social, secretly supernatural, subtly extraordinary creatures at Forks High school. I ran away when James attacked. I ran away when I met my vampire mate. Up until Victoria incident, I was just running or more like trying to escape, from tags, from being the odd one out, from accepting the unacceptable reality.

The Victoria event was when I set my foot down for once and stayed back for my dad, so that he wouldn't get hurt in his daughter's tangled blood drenched mess.

I was beside my sister when she was pregnant with her rare, vampire-human baby. I stood up for Renesmee, taking support from my little 'gift', to fight against vampire and their gaint, notorious troop.

But coming to Volterra brought back the old Emmaliese, the coward Emmaliese who ran away before like a pathetic person, heartbroken over a few moments of attraction that didn't spare even a second glance more to her.

But now I decided I didn't want to be that Emmaliese anymore. I was sick and tired of being the damsel in distress.

(Suggested listening: kings and queens by Ava Max)

So I decided I won't try to make Caius fall in love with me. He was married for God's sake. I didn't want to be a home wrecker. Also I realised if Caius was meant to be mine or with me, things would go in that way.

One thing that I have learned in my short life is to let people go. Those who are meant to stay will stay. Those who are meant to leave, will take off. And you will be cleared out with genuine people, who will bring positivity and happiness in your. You will be left with people you can actually rely on.

So that's what I decided to do. Universe knew what was the best for me. Let universe decide. I will follow the course to live whatever remaining days of my life in peace, savouring every moment.

Sighing, I took my medicine and went to sleep. Athenodora's accusation and insults, Marcus's words, the discussion with Aro, all swirled in my mind like a whirlwind of emotions.

Then there was my decision, I was firmly holding onto. I had no idea what fate had in store for me. For now I was going to embrace whatever that was tossed at my way.

So when late at night, I felt a familiar presence lying beside me, the intoxicating scent invading my nostrils, numbing my senses, the sparks erupting as a slender arm wrapped around my waist, I let it embrace me and dived deep into it.

Even though this affection was only for the midnight, always have been since Bella and Edward's reconciliation, in the form of those mind talking, and now as  this close proximity, like a midnight whiskey, I drowned in it. I willingly let it consume me. Like an alcoholic, I was suddenly addicted of it. And I had no intention to let go of this addiction anytime soon.

***********

With the break of the dawn, with the first ray of the sun piercing through the barrier of clouds, with the darkness finally subsiding,, the affection that enveloped me in the silence of the night, the mate who was mine when there was no light, disappeared in the morning like the moons and stars.

Perhaps that's why the sky was crying that day in Volterra.

Jane came to me like every other day and escorted me to the kitchen. Because I was feeling down, I requested for an uplifiting breakfast which was chocolate pancakes with chocolate syrup along with a hot, steaming cup of latte, my staple breakfast on rainy days.