Chapter 28

“Honey, I’m going now.” Ian said in a loud voice for Lea to hear him from the kitchen. He fixed her polo and wore his watch while waiting for his wife.

She went out of the kitchen and got something from her bag before heading to the living room where Ian is, “Here’s my key. Ingat sa pagda-drive.” she said and kissed his cheek.

Ian slightly frowned as he looked at the key she just handed to him, “Why are you giving me your car key?”

“Because you need it to be able to use my car for your transportation. Today’s Wednesday... you are coded today, aren’t you?”

“How do you always remember that today is Wednesday?” he asked, amazed by his wife’s memory. “But I don’t need it, Misis. I’m just gonna use the motorbike.”

“What?” she asked in disbelief because that is something she really disapproved of.

“Hey, I know you don’t want me to use it in long travels but come to think of it, honey, I will not be stuck in traffic. My ride will be faster—”

“Yeah, faster to death.” she inserted. “You know why I don’t want you to use your motorbike, Ian. It’s dangerous and it makes me anxious because the last time we rode in there, we almost died!”

“It was only you. I was all fine.” he corrected her that’s why Lea threw a sharp look at him. Ian smiled awkwardly as a way of apologizing to her. “I’m sorry but just trust me, Misis. I was trained how to maneuver it properly and safely. I am a safe driver. And I have all these amazing protective equipments which I always wear in complete. As a matter of fact, if I can just wear five helmets on my head, I would just so you’ll stop worrying about me.”

“I trust you naman; I know you’re a responsible driver but some people put there are not. I just get too anxious and nervous sometimes knowing that fact. I want you to always be safe because I don’t know what to do if something bad happens to you.”

“Nothing bad will happen to me, promise.” he assured her and gently cupped her cheeks. “So, please? Payagan mo na ako. I’ll come home to you still alive and kicking.”

She sighed in resignation, “Fine.” she replied which made Ian smile from ear to ear. “Just be careful, okay? Dapat wala kang sugat o kahit anumang galos pag-uwi mo kung hindi ako mismo papatay sa’yo.”

“Napakasadista mo naman.” he said and chuckled. “Thank you and I promise to come home unhurt. I love you.” he added and kissed her on the lips.

“Sky, Daddy’s leaving already. Say your goodbyes.”

Sky hurried to them and bade his goodbye to Ian, “Take care, Dad!”

“Bye, little buddy! Ask Mommy to cut your fingernails, okay? Mahaba na eh.” he said. “I’ll leave now. I love you two.”

Lea just smiled at him before he finally took off. She then examined her son’s hand to see what Ian was saying about Sky’s fingernails, “It’s too long na nga, anak. I’ll just get the nail cutter then we’ll cut it na ha?”

Sky waited for her Mom in the living room who came back shortly with the materials she needed. Lea sat on the couch and let her son sit on her lap, wrapping her one arm around him to be able to do the nail cutting properly.

“Mama, can I ask you something?” the son suddenly asked while she’s in the middle of cutting his third fingernail.

“Sure. You can ask me anything, babe.” she replied. “What is it about ba? Is it about school?”

“No. It’s about me.” Sky said which drew a little frown in Lea’s face. “Why don’t I have the same surname as yours and Daddy’s? Why is mine different?”