Chapter 34

I can hold my breath
I can bite my tongue
I can stay awake for days if that’s what you want
Be your number one

I can fake a smile
I can force a laugh
I can dance and play the part if that’s what you ask
Give you all I am

______

Some days, it would be like living in a fairytale.

And some days, it’s just a disaster. A total catastrophe.

Everything was going fine with everyone; everything was going smoothly. But at every smooth road, there is that one hump that could make the trip a little rougher— tougher.

That was what they were feeling the moment the doctor informed them about the disastrous news— much even greater on Ian’s part. It was just this morning when he woke up still with a fully functioning body, and then in just a blink of an eye, he’s now half immobilized. It hasn’t sunken into him yet and he doesn’t think it will ever sink into him. He can process the fact that he’s paralyzed but he doesn’t think he can accept that.

He removed Lea’s grip on him and faced the doctor again with so much questions and frustrations, “So, that’s just it?! I will not be able to walk again after this?! I’ll be just forever paralyzed?!”

“Well, there are different types and degrees of paralysis. It could be partial, complete, flaccid, splastic, permanent or just temporary. On your case, there’s a chance that you’ll still be able to regain function on your lower extremities.”

“Really?” Lea asked as that news just boosted her hope. That was indeed the little light she and Ian needed right now. “H-How? Can you do that? W-What do we need to do?”

“While paralysis still doesn’t have a cure nor it’s reversible, there are cases where the function of muscles and nerves just go back on its own. Aside from the muscle relaxant medications I’ll prescribe you, I could perform surgery to lessen the swelling and removing lesions on his spine injury. Then after that, Ian will be needing to wear a brace in his neck to keep him stead and to prevent the injury from worsening.” the doctor explained. “Physical therapy, occupational therapy, and the likes can also help to stimulate his nerves and muscles. I am not promising you though that you will completely go back to normal, but this is a hope that you can still live a best quality life even though this accident happened.”

“W-We’ll take what you can give.” Lea said, feeling a little hopeful this time.

“We will make everything to give you that best we can. If you may excuse me now, I’ll just go back to recheck his lab tests so we can already proceed to the surgery.”

She just nodded at that and let the doctor go. Her attention immediately went back to her husband who seemed so lost at this point. She wanted to comfort him but she thought: is there even a word that can comfort him right now? No word would be effective to make someone, who just received the most horrible and traumatizing news he can get in his life, feel better.

“M-Mom,” Aya softly called her Mom’s attention as she herself also felt like traumatized by what she just heard. The atmosphere in their room suddenly felt heavy and sad. “I know you need some time alone so I’ll go ahead na po. I am really, really sorry.” she said, feeling terribly sorry for what’s happening.

“Okay.” Lea simply agreed. “Don’t tell Sky about it yet, please? Let us tell him.”

Aya understandingly nodded and looked at her step-dad. She feels bad for leaving as if nothing happened but she knows the couple need some privacy to talk about this tough situation, “T-Tito, I’m so sorry po.”