Chapter 26

/NINE YEARS AGO/

Lea was pale and already unconscious as Ian laid her down on the hospital’s emergency bed. He immediately called for an assistance from the nurses and doctors available around. Her arm hasn’t stopped bleeding but what worries him the most is the fact that she is not just the only one who’s in danger here but as well as her baby.

“Sir, if any chance, alam niyo po ba kung ano ang nakasaksak kay Ma’am?” the doctor asked him again after Ian did not answer the first one. He was spacing out. His thoughts were rattling.

“I-I don’t know... a knife? I-I... I cannot exactly tell!” he answered.

“We have to control the bleeding first before treating the wound. It looked deep so we may have to inject an anesthesia to—”

“Anesthesia?” Ian was alarmed upon hearing it. “S-she’s pregnant, Doc. Will that be safe for her and her baby? You also need to check if her baby is okay. Can we call an OB in here?!”

“Okay, we’ll call an OB here but for now, you need to step out and let us treat her. I’ll get back to you for an update as soon as we’re done.”

He nodded and breathed heavily to calm himself down. He sat on the waiting room of the hospital and tried organizing his thoughts. Ian knew that the people who should be here for Lea is her family so he fished his phone out of his pocket and dialed Sarah’s number.

After four rings, she picked it up. He immediately told her that her sister was at the hospital. Sarah had so much questions of whats and hows but Ian couldn’t answer them all over the phone. He just told her to come as soon as she can. It’s already quarter to ten when Sarah arrived with Leo.

“Where’s Lea?” the father asked him, nervous and confused. “What the hell happened, Ian?!”

“Kuya, anong nangyari kay Ate?” Sarah asked worriedly.

“She was stabbed in the arm po kasi but she’s being treated inside na po.”

“Stabbed? How come she was stabbed? Sinong sumaksak sa kanya at bakit kayo magkasama? I thought she was at Aga’s!?” sunod-sunod na tanong ni Leo. He doesn’t even care if he’s already raising a voice to Ian. He’s confused about what’s happening and he is worried about his daughter.

Ian released a shameful sigh, “It was my brother.”

“Your brother? Why would your brother stab her?”

“It was too complicated po but it has something to do with her past addiction.” he could only answer to the extent of his knowledge about it. “Mas maigi po siguro kung si Lea na ang magpapaliwanag sa inyo ng lahat. I am not in the position to answer for her.”

Leo heaved a deep breath and sat in one of the chairs beside his youngest. He can only hope and wait for Lea to get treated immediately. His most concern is just her safety right now. Ian was still preoccupied that he forgot to tell them about Lea’s pregnancy.

Until Sarah unexpectedly brought it up, “Teka... Ate is pregnant.”

“You knew about it?” Ian asked.

Leo looked at the two, “Lea is pregnant?!”

“Pumasok kasi ako kanina sa kuwarto ni Ate, Papa, para manghingi ng toothpaste— naubusan kasi ako. Tapos may nakita akong dalawang pregnancy kits sa banyo niya. Positive po parehas.” pagpapaliwanag ni Sarah.

“Why didn’t you tell me right away?”

“Ayaw ko naman po pangunahan si Ate. I thought she should tell you.” she answered and looked at Ian. “Paano niyo po pala nalaman na buntis siya, Kuya?”