Chapter 20

Their ride going back to Manila has been nothing but awkward and dead for both Aga and Lea. Aya has fallen asleep along the way since traffic got them stuck for quite a while in the road. No one seems to like to talk to the other person because of how things ended at the farm.

It has been honestly bugging Aga for the past hours. The fact that he attempted to kiss her already hinted an attempt to cheat on his girlfriend. And he cannot do that. He cannot betray the love of his life.

Lea, on the other hand, seemed to not understand a thing about it. She remembers what happened clearly, but it feels so vague. One moment, they were just talking; then the next, their faces were already centimeters apart. What was that? What is that supposed to mean?

What is that supposed to mean that it got her tearing up?

Her brain has been scolding her for that, saying that it doesn’t mean any thing. It must not mean any thing to the both of them.

“Papa invited. Sa bahay na lang daw kayo mag-dinner.” she finally spoke after hours of being mum. She just received the message from her Dad giving such invitation to Aga and Aya.

Considering how late it already is for dinner making Aya hungry already, Aga said yes, “I’ll just tell Mama to not wait for us anymore.”

She just nodded and no longer said a word until they reach their house. The whole time they were on the dinning table, Lea and Aga didn’t share a talk. They would converse with Aya, Sarah, and Leo but not with each other.

Aga noticed her sudden change of treatment toward him. He thinks he knew the reason of it so he feels that it is just right to clear things between them.

Is there something worth-clearing though?

Is it something he should worry this much?

Nonetheless, he wants to approach her first. He went to the kitchen sink where he found her washing her hands.

“You need anything?” were the words that first came from Lea’s mouth after not talking to him for several hours when she noticed Aga’s presence. “Are you leaving already?”

“Do you want us to leave immediately?” he asked back. “Iniiwasan mo ba ako?”

She stopped for a while as she was caught off guard. She wiped her hands and heaved a deep breath. She wiped them longer to keep herself busy and to avoid looking at him, “What’s the deal? Why did you ask?”

“If it’s because of what happened before we left the farm, I am so—”

“I don’t—” she almost shouted had she not able to control herself. She shut her eyes tight, released some air and take her emotions in. Aga figured out she’s not in her best mood through the tone of her voice. I don’t need your sorry! That is what the sentence supposed to be. “Why did you do it?” she demanded for an answer, calmer this time.

“I-I actually don’t know,” he honestly stated when he couldn’t come up with a better answer. “I didn’t meant it... I am so sorry.”

Lea chuckled quietly and bitterly. She already expected to hear those words from him. She knew Aga didn’t mean it, but what she doesn’t know is why does it seem affecting her in a way that it shouldn’t. Why does it feel like someone pierced her heart into tiny pieces?

Aga had to gulp when he met her eyes as soon as she faced him. Those cold and confused eyes that were now looking at him feels like he’s facing death.

“There was an attempt... You attempted to—” Lea left her sentence hanging when she realized the there’s no point of having this conversation. Aga might think she’s overreacting with it. He didn’t mean it. It should settle to that. “Forget it. Forget what I said. Let’s not take it as if it’s a big deal.”