Chapter 2

Perth-

After we completed our shoot, Saint slid into the car next to me and grabbed the radio. After he called his manager we sat there in silence and waited for the cleanup crew to show up. I'd been trying to figure out a way to break the tension I'd been feeling between us all morning and decided being direct was the best option.

"So, you doing okay?" We'd already been on the shift for four hours and Saint hadn't brought anything up about last night. I didn't particularly want to be the one to do it, but I felt like we couldn't just ignore what happened, considering the implications.

"Yeah, sure, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?'" I could tell by the tone of his voice that what he was saying and what he was actually feeling were not the same thing. His body language was also telling me a completely different story. As soon as I asked that question, his entire body stiffened up and he turned his head, so I couldn't see his expression. His eyes were always a dead giveaway to what he was feeling, and I was pretty sure he knew it.

I could see I was going to have to be the adult in this situation and say it out loud, even though I was just as nervous to talk as he was.

"I think maybe we should talk about what happened. You know ... last night."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

He may have thought he was being convincing, but I could see his hand curling up into a fist next to his thigh. He knew exactly what I was talking about, but he was going to make me take all the responsibility, as usual.

Of course, always the Alpha. Always in charge. What I wouldn't give to relax for once and not have to worry about being the responsible one. But it wasn't in me to ignore a problem, to pretend I didn't know how important it was that we get things out in the open.

"Okay, so I guess I'm the one that's going to have to say it out loud. Is that how this is going to go?"

Saint was silent for a moment, but then mumbled a response to the window.

"I don't know what happened last night, Perth. I really don't remember."

I wanted him to turn his head and look at me. I wanted to see his eyes when he said those words. I had a hard time believing they were true. "You don't remember anything? Anything at all? You didn't feel any different this morning?"

"Well, I was pretty sore. Maybe I caught something. You know there's lots of flu going around—"

"Come on, Saint. Where were you sore? Tell me that."

Saint was silent again and I was afraid that I'd been too harsh. It wouldn't have been the first time. I wasn't exactly known for being diplomatic or subtle. If I had something to say, I said it. If I had a question, I asked it. If I was pissed off at you, you better believe you'd know it.

But I also knew that this was a very sensitive subject and I didn't want things to go bad between us.

"Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I just wanted to make sure you had at least a little fun last night. And that you didn't think I was taking advantage of you."

Saint finally turned and looked at me but he wasn't smiling. In fact, he looked scared. "What the hell do you mean? Taking advantage of me?"

"Look," I said putting my hands up to show that I was trying to keep the peace. "You were the one that started it. I was surprised as hell that you were going into heat. I mean, you were pawing at me like a goddamned puppy dog."

"What are you talking about?" Saint asked, the stunned look on his face quickly turning to anger. "I might have been drunk. But in heat? That's not even possible!"