14 ☽ Home again

Keifer POV

Keifer POV

My Dad picks me up from the airport, and it's an odd sight seeing him standing in the middle of a bunch of humans. He towers over everyone around him, his hands in his pockets and a glare on his face.

When he spots me, his features soften. The corners of his lips twitch slightly.

We hug, a brief, tight embrace that makes me exhale. The trip wasn't overly long, but I'm feeling weary. I haven't seen him in person in almost a year, but nothing has changed. He's still the same stoic lycan that raised me.

"Let's get out of here. I'm tired of these humans." I laugh at my Dad's harsh words, a slight reprieve from my stress that's still building with every minute.

Dad has always hated humans, and then he met Mom. She was the one that softened him, only slightly, because he still despises being in the human world. There's only one human he loves, and she has him wrapped around his finger. She changed him in many ways.

Just like Opal changed me. I frown at the reminder of her as I grab my luggage. She's all I've thought about for the past day and night. That's all it's been, Opal this and Opal that. I can't forget her for a second. It's only been a scarce day since I heard the news of her disappearance.

Goddess, Opal, what were you thinking?

The drive is long, and mostly quiet. My Dad isn't a talker, and neither am I mostly. We make some conversation. Talking about Rain and her shift, and Rome, her mate.

It only reminds me of my own situation with Opal. Growing up, we knew we were mates, as did my sister and her mate. Only, they didn't try to hide it like me. They let everyone know. It was obvious for the world to see.

I stare out the window at the passing pine trees, littered with snow, thinking of only her.

How much easier would it have been if I made it that obvious that Opal was my mate, like Rain and Rome? Would we have it made by now? Would I have been shipped off to Spearhead? Would I still be messed up in the head?

The "what ifs" are dangerous, this I know, but I can't help it. I've made a mistake in hiding our relationship. But I can't turn back time. All I can do is find her and make everything right again.

We pull into the pack, the gates swinging open as the guards wave to my Pop. He waves back, a grim expression on his face.

"It still perplexes me that she got past the gates. We have security all over the border. Clearly it wasn't enough." He says softly, and my head snaps up.

Opal snuck out. She left behind all she knows. Her family and her friends and her comfort. For me. She wanted to find me. But why? I can't stop thinking of that.