25 ☾ My Keifer

Opal POV

Opal POV

The room spins, so I keep my eyes closed tight. My sleep has been on and off. Fitful. Full of nightmares. I try to push through. I'm just so tired. So drained, so empty and void of emotion or thought or feeling. I am just... me. A wolf. A vessel. A creature awaiting death.

And then, it happens.

A sharp, clanging bang rings out and makes me lift my head slightly. The small movement is enough to dizzy me. I start shaking and give up. My head flops back down to the cold metal that touches every inch of my side.

"There she is."

The voice is quiet, hushed, but oh so familiar that I still where I lay, straining my ears to hear more. A dim light flickers on somewhere. I whine, shrinking back from it like it's burned me.

"Oh no." A tortured, faceless murmur says.

"The door is locked."

"Not for long it isn't."

The sound of metal snapping echoes, making my head twinge.

This is all so different. So new, too new in fact. My heart thuds frantically in my chest. I'm tied down, I can't get away, I can't do anything but lay here as unknown intruders make their way to me. I'm defenseless.

I crack my eyes open to see a dark figure standing nearby. I squint at this human, this stranger that has my fate in there hands, even as they touch my flanks with long, strong fingers. The touch isn't what I was expecting.

Usually when humans touch me I cringe, I want to bite their hand off when they dare to make any contact. Instead, something pleasant happens. Tingles erupt under my fur.

Keifer.

The name pops in my head, even as no face matches the word I know should mean something. I dig through the black abyss of my mind. I search high and low for why I know this man.

I start whimpering, fighting weakly to get free as confusion takes control.

"I'm here, darling. I'm here."

I whine again, squirming against the bands that have me tied down too tightly. He pets my side gently. He wants to reassure. He wants me to stop. His touch calms me, but only slightly.

Clarity starts to form in my mind as the foggy clouds of confusion dissipate.

Little images flicker. Memories. Dreams. Longings. He's there for them all.

My mate. My Keifer.

Tears start to form in my eyes. It's the most human thing to happen to me in weeks.

Human. I am slightly human, I think. It is still a mystery to me. Everything is hazy and it hurts to try to dig too deep.

"What did they do to her?" The other man is furious, but his voice is also somehow warm and inviting to me. I know him too.