20 ☽ Estranged grandfather

Keifer was almost completely silent as he scaled the side of the house

     Keifer was almost completely silent as he scaled the side of the house. The only light in the night was the bright yellow moon slanting down through the trees.

      He hefted his weight over the roof, surprised at the burst of strength he had. Although he was not a typical 13 year old boy, his supernatural strength grew so quickly that it always shocked him.

      Slithering up the shingles of the slanted roof, he made sure to keep his footsteps light. He didn't want to wake an unwanted person in the house. Keifer knew he'd be screwed if Ace heard him.

      His intended target was still awake when he gave a slight knock with his knuckles against the glass window pane.

      Opal sprung to the window, silently but quickly pulling it open with panic written on her face.

      "What are you doing? You're going to get in even more trouble." She insisted, shaking her head in disapproval, her messy hair flying around her face.

      Keifer couldn't help it, he grinned.

     "So, you heard?"

     Opal rolled her eyes, propping herself up on her elbows on the sill of the window.

     "Of course I heard, you imbecile. Nothing stays a secret in this pack. But really? Throwing Stacey's PlayStation into the river?"

      The little lycan boy didn't even attempt to deny it. He chuckled mischievously.

      "It was totally worth being grounded, believe me. She deserved it. You should've seen the look on her face." He had to contain his laughter, still afraid of waking Opal's adoptive father.

       That would be trouble he couldn't handle.

      "How long are you in for?" She wondered in a hushed voice.

     Keifer shrugged, unbothered.

     "A couple weeks. Dad is pissed, but I expected that." He grinned, and Opal shook her head again. She was never surprised by his shenanigans. She just wished he would stop this madness and mellow out a bit.

     "Keifer, when do you think you'll be over all of this?" She asked suddenly, filling out the silence.

       His grin disappeared, replaced with a shocked look.

     "What do you mean?" Keifer was puzzled. It took all that he had not to scratch his head.

      Opal shrugged, looking away as she traced the window pane with her fingertip idley.

     "I just mean, when are you going to be done being so crazy? All you seem to do is cause trouble. What's to gain from all of it? It has to stop at some point. The recklessness, the pranks, sneaking out. It has to end before something bad happens, you know?" She explained shakily.