12 ☽ Thundering blood

Keifer POV

Keifer POV

     The metal of the phone feels foreign in my hand, and I pause before lifting it to my face, my jaw clenching while I chew on the inside of my cheek in thought. It's call day. The infamous day that no one looks forward to.

     I clear my throat, typing in the phone number that I know by heart for my monthly call. I never know what's in store when I call home, but I have a vague idea. I picture the phone ringing on the Alpha's tidy desk.

     It doesn't ring long, Dad answers swiftly, he always does when he knows that I'm calling.

     "Keifer." His deep voice says. His tone is more gruff and disapproving.

     Usually, despite his rough exterior, he sounds happy to talk to me. I know they miss me, because he typically lets it show through his voice. But today is different.

     Sometimes I think it would be easier if he talked harshly to me, I was wrong. I shrink away from his tone as I wrack my brain for what I might have done to make him so upset with me.

     "What did I do this time?" I manage under my breath, glancing around the room as others stand around on the phones, or waiting their turn. There's not a whole lot of privacy at the phones, other than the few feet of spacing between each station.

    I can't help feel the difference between this call and our last call when I had to tell him about my fight.

      My dad sighs, and I can barely breathe when he finally talks again.

      "Keifer, I am so sorry." The words have me reeling in confusion, and I don't know how to respond.

       Licking my lips, I lean forward.

      "What do you mean, pop?" I wonder, desperate for answers but not liking the one I receive.

     "Why didn't you tell me that Opal was your mate?"

     My stomach plummets. My palms slick with sweat. It's an immediate reaction to the truth.

     The silence draws on for what feels like hours. I end up being the one who breaks it, my voice cracking with each syllable.

     "Opal? She.. she told you?" I demand, feeling exposed and ill prepared. I wasn't ready for this, not now of all times. I didn't expect him to spring this on me. It feels unfair, like blackmail on my emotions.

      What am I supposed to say? My secret is out. I expected to have to explain myself at some point, but not now, not here.

      I was supposed to fix myself before I claimed her.

     "No. Rain told me, right before she fainted. She's going through her first shift, she barely got to explain before she lost all her energy. Everyone's worried sick over Opal, nobody more than her. We sent some scouts out, but she was too far at that point. Did you encourage her?"