24 ☽ Own Kind of Magic

Keifer POV

Keifer POV

     I rub at my head, the seemingly never ending headache worsening with every turn of the wheels as the car carries us on our forever roadtrip. Days have turned into a week, but it feels like I haven't seen Opal in an eternity. Each passing minute is just getting worse. Each day is complete agony.

"Hold on. We're almost there." The words have me grinding my teeth together. I'm agitated, still on edge after half shifting in public. It was only a handful of people that saw me, mountain people and tourists, but it was still too risky.

I snap my head to Ace as he clutches the steering wheel. He won't even look at me after the words he just spoke to break the delicate silence.

"I'm fine." I respond, but he shakes his head absently.

"No, you're not." He barks out a laugh. "Besides, I wasn't even talking to you."

I shoot him a confused look.

"Have you gone crazy?"

"Opal. I talking to my daughter. And to answer your question, of course I've gone crazy." He says, and I restrain myself from reminding him that he's a weirdo. He reads my mind though, or more likely my face. "She's my little girl, okay? I know you're her mate, but I have a connection with her too, whether you like it or not."

I innocently put my hands up as I lean back into the passenger seat.

"I don't have a problem with it." I insist, but I can feel his doubtful gaze boring into the side of my head. I try to focus on the road instead, knowing that we're going to pull into West Yellowstone today.

I can feel myself getting closer to Opal. The bond is strengthening, the line between us electrifying as the miles disappear. Though the knowledge that she might not be there stays in the back of my mind, I know for certain that she's close by regardless. I can feel it down to my bones, my very DNA.

Staying quiet for a while, the brittle silence in the car finally snaps when Mom's half brother makes a remark.

"We're here." Lucien says, and I perk up, looking for a sign and spotting it a mile ahead in the darkness.

Entering West Yellowstone

"We're here." I repeat, almost breathless. I can't believe it. It feels like I went through Hell to finally get here.

Everyone perks up as we roll into the tiny, snow covered town. The roads are narrowed by the massive pileup of white snow plowed to the side, pouring over the sidewalks. Lights from bars and gas stations flicker as handfuls of tourists tuck their jackets tighter around themselves to guard against the winter chill.

We drive around for a few minutes, staring out the car as the windshield wipers groan back and forth, sending flurries of snowflakes all over the place.