16 ☽ Finding her

When Keifer walked into the pack cafeteria, he had a broad grin on his face

     When Keifer walked into the pack cafeteria, he had a broad grin on his face. He was extremely smug for someone so young. But he had just finished school for the day, and couldn't wait to see Opal so he could tell her what he learned.

      He was ecstatic. He moved through the crowded cafeteria, the lunch rush was in full swing. He dodged people and tables until he reached his target.

     Finally, Keifer stopped, sitting down in front of the shyest girl in the pack. The young werewolf girl had her nose stuck in a book. Even though she was only 11, she had a remarkable love for the things. Countless pages and words and lessons all wrapped in a spine and sometimes covered in dust, one was always in her hand.

     Her friend Keifer sat impatiently for a few moments, tapping his foot as he waited for her to acknowledge his presence. Little did he know that Opal was well aware of the little lycan, in fact she smiled fondly behind her book as she finished the page.

     Eventually, after a few excruciatingly long minutes, she folded it up and placed it on the table, flicking her eyes up to his.

       Keifer forgot what exactly it was that he was so excited to tell her. She was just that beautiful, she could make the best person forget everything else in the world with one small glance. Keifer was sure that she was the most beautiful girl the universe had ever seen.

      "What is it? You sure got here in a hurry." She mused, poking at her lunch with a spork while he continued watching her with utter amazement.

      The moment was fleeting, but he'd remember it forever. He had just learned everything there was to know about mates. The feelings, the love, the signs. He only just now realized that's what Opal was to him.

      His mate.

      Embarrassed, and flushed, Keifer cleared his throat, but he dare not look away from her out of fear that she would disappear.

      "I learned a lot of things today." He stammered, but didn't want to give himself away, so he decided to talk about what he learned at home instead. Opal would never know.

      "I learned that one day I'll shift, like my Papa. I'll get really big. Bigger than you! Even in my human form. One day, I'll be a lot taller than you, even in my human form." He bragged, but Opal just lifted an eyebrow.

     Of course she knew that Keifer would shift one day, and he'd change in many ways, but it was hard to picture. Opal was tall for her age, she towered over most pups in the pack, including Keifer. She couldn't imagine a world where she didn't have a few inches on the little kid.

     So, she took the opportunity as always to tease him.

     "Nah, I think you're going to stay small forever." She said, grinning at him when his eyes widened.