9 ☾ Skeleton

Opal POV

Opal POV

I debate with myself on what I should and should not bring with me. I stare at my nearly empty bag and my dresser drawers with heavy shoulders. Nothing seems necessary in the grand scheme of things, but I pack some of it anyway, just to be sure.

Maybe they'll come in handy. I eye the cashmere sweater in my hands. It's one of my favorites, but it's so loose now that it hangs off my body like a sheet. Another obvious reminder of my condition.

Squeezing my eyes shut I shove it in my backpack and zip it up without a second thought. It's easier to disguise my body in the winter when I'm wearing baggy jackets and big coats. I thank the Goddess that I was at least granted that mercy.

I observe my bedroom and think about how much I'll miss my bed and covers and books. The peaceful mornings. The warm nights.

I'm heading out into the unknown, and I should be terrified. Oddly enough, I feel better than I have in a long time. I have hope now. Hope for the future.

I close my bedroom door and rush down the stairs as fast as my weakened body can take me. I say a silent thanks that Dad's not here to ask any questions of me. That's all he's been doing lately is asking questions. He's noticing the change in me and his suspicions are growing.

I have to get out of here. I need to find my mate.

My whole life is withering away in the mirror. I know deep down that I'll be dead before the snow melts. Winter still has a few months, but I'm not sure how much longer I have.

Even knowing that, and knowing that I could likely fail trying to get to Keifer, it's still my last chance. Even if I die on the way there, at least I'll have tried.

If I can have a happy life with my mate, I have to try before it's too late.

My boots crunch in the snow as I close the back door with effort, pushing the screen through the thick fluff of white. I exhale, my breath fogging in the frigid air.

"Opal." I leap at the sound of my name, darting my head around, my neck scratching against my scarf. Rhiannon stands nearby. Her eyes are dark with questions, and her long arms are crossed as she taps her foot expectantly.

I wasn't expecting anyone to show up. It's not exact great timing.

"What?" I wonder innocently, clutching the straps of my backpack down harder on my shoulders.

Rain lifts her eyebrows, shaking her head.

"Where exactly do you think you're going?" She wonders, motioning to my bag with her head. I pale, knowing I've been found out.

The desire to run back inside bubbles up, but I burry it away and take a deep breath. I have to take a stand. This is my life that's on the line, and Keifer's. If I died, he would go insane. I have to do this for him. For me. For us.