4 ☽ Favorite color

"What's your favorite color?" It was an odd question, and Opal's eyes raised from what she was reading

     "What's your favorite color?" It was an odd question, and Opal's eyes raised from what she was reading. She arched a dark brow, laying low in the tall, soft grass that swayed with the wind.

      They hadn't been speaking the majority of the time, but Keifer was always the one to break the silence.

     "Why do you want to know?" She teased Keifer who lay in the field right beside her. He always seemed to be by her side.

     Keifer shrugged, looking away bashfully while he roamed gentle fingers through the green, poking at a beetle that was climbing its way up his little leg.

     "It's an important thing I guess." He explained to her. He just really wanted to know everything he could about Opal. He made it a mission to learn what he could, she fascinated him. When he wasn't around her, he constantly thought about her. They had known each other for 2 years, but he still didn't know everything about the orphaned werewolf.

      They were best friends. Friends knew each other's favorite color. It had to be a rule, he was sure of it.

     The little werewolf girl chewed on the inside of her cheek in thought.

     "Blue." She relented. Keifer perked up at her answer.

     "Because of the sky?" He wondered, jumping to conclusions. The sky in Montana was big and blue and never ending, stretching from horizon to horizon. It had to be the reason she loved the color enough to make it her favorite.

     Opal pursed her lips with a knowing look, but shook her head adamantly.

     "Why then?" He pressed, impatient, and she grinned in response.

     "I'll never tell." She turned a page in her book without even looking down. Opal leaned forward on her elbows, becoming interested in the conversation. "What about you?"

     Keifer didn't even have to think about it.

     "Brown." The word leapt out of his mouth eagerly, and Opal burst out laughing. She hadn't been expecting that. She ruffled his messy blonde hair with a rueful smile.

     "Do I get to guess why?" She asked him, and Keifer nodded.

     There were a thousand things in the world that were brown, but Keifer knew that she wouldn't be able to guess in a thousand years. Sure enough, his older friend guessed and guessed, quizzing him relentlessly. She guessed mud and chocolate, tree bark, and even poop, which amused him endlessly.

     He was having a lot of fun distracting her from her studies.

     "Okay, I give up!" She huffed, slamming her forgotten book shut in frustration. "Why is brown your favorite color?"

     Keifer smirked in triumph, too sassy for only being 6 years old.

     "It reminds me of my Mommy. Her hair and eyes are brown, and she's my favorite person ever." He happily explained, overjoyed. His heart almost exploded when he thought of his Mommy.