23 ☾ Fragile state

Opal POV

Opal POV

I pace, because thats all I seem to know how to do now. I'm restless. My paws ache, my body thin and yet heavier than ever before.

I am supposed to be dead, and yet blood flows through my veins and breath remains in my lungs.

Shrieks of laughter and human words jumble around my head like gnats. My ears flick in annoyance, and I paw the dirt with my front paw. All around me is fencing made of metal wire and rungs. I huff, licking a snowflake off of my nose and looking up at the gray clouds hanging above me.

Something about the picture is familiar... I recall sliding down a hill, the hands on my arms warm and sending sparks across my skin. The memorie does something odd. My stomach flip flops.

A name eludes me, but I can't find it with the confusing whirling storm that wages inside my skull. The harder I try to remember, the more pain sprouts in my head. I wince, turning away from the snow clouds and to a wolf nearby.

I have come to an understanding with this pack it would seem. They bow their heads when I am near, avoiding eye contact and bowing slightly to seem as small as possible. It's the only reason I let them survive. They are only bearable to me.

As long as they stay in line, I will not hurt them. They know what I am capable of, perhaps more than the humans. My size and my power frightens these wolves, even in my most fragile state.

I shake out my fur, sending flurries flying. A male wolf circles me. His nose twitches. His ears flick. He's anxious, and he is interested in me.

My lips lift, baring my teeth. I lick my canines all the way to the gums. A growl propels from my throat.

He backs off momentarily, slinking off behind some trees to give me my much needed space.

A can suddenly comes flying through the air, spilling dark droplets of sweet liquid onto my fur. My head automatically turns to see who threw garbage at me.

A group of human children had flocked around the gate, they must have snuck up on her while she was focusing on the horny male stalking her.

"Move, you giant freak!" One of them hollers. The others crowded around him laugh, their chuckles and shrieks making my skin crawl.

The sudden urge to punch them in their little faces crawls up my brain.

I cock my head to the side. That thought came out of nowhere, and the word punch causes turmoil to tumble around in ide me. My body sways as a stabbing hot pain explodes in my brain.

"Look! You hurt it." The comment should've inspired guilt, instead the little voice is excited.

I continue to sway, reeling from the exauhstion and confusion that stabs at me like a thousand little needles. My front legs bend as I halfway collapse, my ears folding onto my head, my eyes closing tight. I try to block out any outside stimuli so I wont get too overwhelmed.

It seems to be too late. Not very long after falling in the snow, the male wolf is back. He wants to take advantage of the situation. He goes around behind me, climbing onto my back as he tries to mount me from behind. I snap around, a snarl already in my throat as I lung at him, mouth open.

My jaw locks around his throat, blood seeping into my mouth, slicking my tongue and gushing down my throat. It dribbles down his neck, sprinkling the white snow with dots of crimson red.

So many things happen at once. The world rushes around me as the wolf I hold in my jaw yowls in agony. He attempts to twist himself loose, trying to roll his body to dislodge my attack. It doesn't work.

While I hold on tight, I'm aware of yelling and screaming. The humans are reacting to my ferocity. I growl deep in my throat, annoyed and pissed off. I throw my head back and forth, shaking the wolf half my size. He goes limp. I can feel his heart beating against my lips. He is not dead, just defeated.

I drop him, satisfied that I've taught him a lesson. He reels. Rolling onto his back, he yelps and cries and I roll my eyes.

Looking around, blood dripping from my mouth, I spot the other wolves of the pack standing as far away as possible. They're laying low down on their flanks. The leafless bushes barely hide them from my view.

I snarl, a warning to any other wolves that dare get close to me. They knew I was powerful, and now it's been confirmed. They've seen what I can do. If they choose to mess with me, it will be at their own expense.

Rattling draws my attention away from the pack and to a nearby fence. The chainlink barrier is crowded with humans of all shapes and sizes. Their eyes wide, faces pale. They point at me. They gawk.

I stand straighter, shoulders back and chest pushed out, making myself look bigger. Maybe this will teach these pathetic humans to stay back as well.

Not likely, because as soon as I take a step towards the crowd, a stinging pain erupts in my side. I pause, glancing back at the dart sticking out from my coat. I puff air from my nose, already feeling woozy as I start to careen towards the ground.

☾❂ ☾❂ ☾❂ ☾❂ ☾❂ ☾❂ ☾❂ ☾❂ ☾❂ ☾❂ ☾❂ ☾❂☾❂

Guess who's back :) me! Yay