Chapter 2: The Break

Kaminari and Sero made their way over to the Iida family agency.  The Iidas have been pro heroes for generations, and their agency was well known throughout all of Japan.

"Who do you reckon Deku is gonna bring in?"

Kaminari asked Sero

"No clue, but whoever they are, we could sure use the help in catching this guy"

Replied Sero

"You said it.  It sucks that so many heroes we know have died"

"I know how you feel. I still haven't gotten over Ojiro"

Kaminari's face fell at the mention of Mashirao Ojiro.  Two years ago, their furry tailed friend was murdered while he was still a sidekick.  Massacred was more like it.  He had been stabbed and mutilated to the point where he was barely recognizable as a human being.  His girlfriend Toru Hagakure, quit the hero life right then and there, and no one has seen her since. 

"Heads up.  We're here"

Kaminari snapped back to reality as Sero nudged him with his elbow.  He didn't have time to dwell on the past.  They had work to do.  

The two heroes entered the lobby and the receptionist greeted them.

"Hello Chargebolt and Cellophane! Ingenium is waiting for you in his office"

"Thanks"

Sero waved to the girl as he and Kaminari got in the elevator and rode to the top floor where Iida's office was.  Iida was on the phone when they entered but quickly hung up when he saw his friends.  

"Kaminari, Sero, thank you both so much for coming!"

He walked around his desk and gave them both a hug.

"Of course Iida.  You said you needed our help"

Kamanari replied with a grin.

"That I do.  My agency has been contacted by an unknown individual who claims to have come across the copycat killer.  They are hiding in fear for their life, so I need you two to come with me and escort our unknown witness back to my agency for questioning." 

"This is the big break we needed" 

Sero said putting on his helmet.

"What are we waiting for?"

 _______________________________________________

The three heroes are standing outside of a rickety apartment complex.  Most of the windows are boarded up and most of the wood had been eaten away by termites.  Kaminari turned to Iida and raised an eyebrow.

"Uh Iida, you sure this is the place?"

"Yes.  Like I told you, this person has been in hiding for the past few days"

Iida replied as he started up the stairs each floorboard creaking louder than the last.  The trio of heroes made their way through the complex until they stopped outside one of the apartments.  Iida went to knock on the door but it opened ajar the second his fist made contact with it.  Sero could see splinters and wood chips along the edge, and the deadbolt was still in place.  Someone had broken in.  

"Be on your guard"

Iida cautioned his friends as he slowly opened the door all the way.  The apartment was a mess.  The couch was flipped upside down and feathers from the pillows were strewn everywhere.  There were slash marks along the wall paper and a lamp lay on the floor, the lightbulb shattered.  Even the kitchen sink was still running. 

"Hello!"

Iida called out

"This is the hero Ingenium.  We spoke on the phone yesterday"

No response. 

"It seems we weren't the only ones looking for this mystery person"

Kaminari stated 

"That appears to be the case"

Replied Iida.

"Let's check the bedroom"

The three heroes carefully made their way down the hall.  Iida raised his fist signaling them to stop.  

"On three.  Ready?"

Kaminari and Sero nodded, their fists raised in fighting positions.

"One Two THREE!"

The door was flung open and the three heroes jumped into the room.  

"Oh no....."

It was absolutely horrible.  Almost all of the carpet was stained red.  There were splotches of dried blood along the walls.  The bed had been completely flipped and lying in the middle of where it stood was a man lying in a pool of blood.  He had been stabbed many times and his jacket was full of knife holes.

"FINALLY I THOUGHT WE WERE ON TO SOMETHING"

Iida yelled as he sank to the floor.  Sero put a comforting hand on his friends shoulder while Kaminari went to check out the bathroom. 

"Uh guys, you might want to come see this"

He called out to his friends.  A minute later Iida and Sero appeared behind him.  There was a message written in blood on the mirror. 

BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME HEROES ALL HAIL STAIN