Ch 2: Joining the Team

"Luckily, we're not in trouble," the captain said, his arms crossed as he stared down the five lined-up students. "He doesn't even want an apology." All five let out a relieved sigh at the news. "But we have been sworn to secrecy."

"Pfft-" The captain immediately turned his searing glare to the you covering your mouth with your fist in an attempt not to laugh again. "S-sorry," you struggled out. "I-it's not funny, I swear."

The captain rolled his eyes and chose to ignore you for now in favor of the two bickering idiots in line on either side of you. "And as for you two?"

"If you had handled the serve, it wouldn't have happened in the first place!" The black-haired idiot ranted. "You're the same klutz you were last year. I can't believe I thought I'd be challenged!"

"You don't know when to quit, do you?" The orange idiot bit back.

Finally, rather irked by the two idiots, you slapped both of them in the back of the head just as the captain opened his mouth. Everyone looked at you in shock, but you just bowed your head a bit, saying, "I believe the captain was trying to speak?"

"Er, yeah," he cleared his throat, quickly shaking off his surprise. This first year was able to control them surprisingly easily. "There's something I want to tell you. I don't know what your reasons were for choosing to come to this high school, but I assume you came to win."

"Yeah!" The orange idiot yelled.

"Yes, obviously," the black-haired idiot confirmed.

"Of course," you grinned widely, your eyes already sparkling with the excitement of a challenge.

"Up until a few years ago, Karasuno's volleyball team could compete with the best of them — they even made it to nationals once. But these days? We're eighth in the prefecture. Not terrible, but not good either. And people talk. They call us the wingless crows."  You scoffed to yourself, holding back an eye-roll. Those people were idiots if they couldn't see the potential this school had. The captain went on to describe Karasuno's national debut and the inspiration he received from it. "Let's go back one more time!" He exclaimed, a fierce determination set on his face.

"The nationals, huh?" The black-haired idiot's voice cut into the mood that had been created by the captain's words. "Plenty of high schools talk about making it there one day. Doesn't mean they'll go."

You grit your teeth together and chopped him in the side, ignoring his offended scream. "We're not plenty of high schools," you said in a low tone, your chin tilted down as you stared up at the taller boy in defiance.

The captain glanced at you, a slightly impressed smirk resting on his face. Who exactly was this kid? "I'm serious about going," he added, his face leaving no room for argument. "If we want to get there, we need to be a cohesive unit. That means no more run-ins with the vp for one thing." You noticed the second and third year students backing off at his tone and quickly followed suit, leaving to two idiots alone against him. "It's not like I'm telling you to be best friends or anything like that. I know back in middle school, you two might've been adversaries on opposite sides of the net, but let me be clear: you're on one side now, and you need to make peace with that. Is that clear?" His face sent shivers up you spine, despite it not even being directed at you. You quickly left to hide behind the silver-haired one — he was the slightly calmer of the two, so you figured he was probably the safer bet — as the captain proceeded to kick the idiots out of the gym.

You were already giggling to yourself again as the two screamed from the other side of the door about how they'd force themselves to get along if absolutely necessary. No way were you touching that with a ten foot pole. So, instead, you left to grab one of the nearby volleyballs and start warming up with a few serves. You'd leave your new captain to deal with those two for now.