Ch 3: The Two Idiots

"Hey! You two!" You shouted, sprinting to catch up with the idiots who were for some reason running full speed from the gym. "Wait up!"

The two stopped running, glancing back in surprise. You gasped, not able to stop in time, and ran straight into Kageyama. Both of you hit the ground hard in a jumble of limbs. You groaned softly at the impact, lifting your head only to end up staring at Kageyama, who was fully staring back at you. He couldn't help himself from questioning why the boy on top of him was so light. Did he really have any muscle on him? It was as if he was so delicate he might end up breaking him on accident.

"S-sorry!" You shouted, scrambling to your feet and trying to hide your blush. "I-I just wanted to introduce myself! My name's (F/N) (L/N). I guess we're gonna be teammates!"

"Nice to meet you, (L/N)," the orange idiot grinned widely with a slight bow.  "I'm Shoyo Hinata!"

"I-I'm Tobio Kageyama," the black-haired idiot added, standing up and brushing off the dirt that you had gotten on him.  Wait, Tobio Kageyama?  You knew that name -- that name was famous.  Kageyama was one of the greatest setters in middle school -- someone who probably could have gone to nationals if he had just made a few compromises every now and then.  The King of the Court.

"It's very nice to meet you, Hinata and Kageyama!" You smiled brightly at the two.  Both of their eyes widened as they glanced away, looking anywhere but at their enthusiastic teammate.  Were boys always this pretty?  Or was it just him?  It had to be just him, right?  "How 'bout we all meet up at 5am tomorrow morning to get some practice in?  It'd be good to get a feel for each others' play-style, don't you think?" You continued, completely unaware of their thoughts.

"Y-Yeah, we were thinking the same thing," Hinata nodded vigorously.

"Great!" You chirped, the excitement clear across your face at the mere prospect of being able to play again.  "Then I'll be seeing you both bright and early tomorrow!"

"What position are you?" Kageyama interrupted loudly, his face stone-like as he stared seriously at you.

"Oh, I'm whatever you need me to be, though I guess I'd have to say my best position is wing spiker," you answered nonchalantly, barely even registering the boy's rather blunt way of speaking.

"I'm a setter," he responded in that same loud voice of his.

You immediately burst into giggles at that.  "Hehe, yeah, I-I sort of got that when you screamed it at the captain," you said, attempting in vain to hide your snickers behind your hand.  Kageyama's face exploded in a blush.  He had forgotten about that part.

"You're a wing spiker?" Hinata gasped, completely ignoring Kageyama.  "Does that mean you were an ace?"

"Uh, yeah," you blushed a bit, scratching the back of your neck at the short boy's enthusiasm.  "Yeah, I was my middle school's ace."

"No way!" Hinata screamed and sprang up into the air, his eyes shining at the girl's words.  Woah, that was quite the jump.  He could really do something with that.  "But you're even shorter than me!  Did you come from a small school, too?"

You frowned slightly at his words.  "No.  My school was actually pretty good.  We even made it all the way to nationals a few times," you responded curtly, your teeth gritting at the implication that your height made you a worse player.

"You did?" Kageyama tilted his head, his brow furrowed slightly.  "I've never seen you before.  Were you a backup on Shiratorizawa?"

You finally seemed to realize your mistake at that moment.  "N-no, I played somewhere else.  I only just moved here recently."  Technically, it was the truth.  At least you could say that.