Ch 4: My New Worst Friend, Shittyshima

"Hey, I wanna hit, too!  Throw me a bone here, Kageyama!" Hinata's shouting seemed to bring Kageyama back down to reality.  He had almost gotten carried away staring at (L/N).  Was he always this excited whenever he watched a spike?  He didn't think he was.  "You're all about your sets, aren't ya?" Hinata asked, grinning at the taller boy.  "Go ahead, send one over this way!"  Kageyama shook his head to clear it of these pestering thoughts.  Right now, he had to deal with a certain dumbass.  "Come on, just one!  For practice!  Please?" Hinata continued, not to be deterred by the scathing look his former enemy turned frenemy was sending his way.

Kageyama turned away to face the net, his chin high in defiance.  "No," he spat.

"Aw, man, don't be like that," Hinata whined, waving his hands.

"Yeah, dude, send him one!" Tanaka backed up the short boy.

"It couldn't hurt to just see what he's capable of, right?" You asked, a nervous smile on your face.  You had a bad feeling Kageyama wouldn't see it the same way.

Almost as though it were just to confirm your thoughts, Kageyama immediately turned and sent a hard hit straight at Hinata, who could only deflect it and force it to rebound in an entirely different direction.

"I sent that one head-on," Kageyama glared at the boy.  That look was chilling the say the least.  "You receive to make a set and attack.  Don't run your mouth if you can't follow through."  He started walking away to retrieve the deflected ball.  "I'll be sending all the sets to (L/N) during the match on Saturday!" he called over his shoulder, as though it were an insignificant thing.  "Leave all the attacking to him.  You just do your best to not get in my way."  Your eyes widened at that, and you spun to face idiot #2, afraid of his reaction.  He was practically shaking in anger.  That couldn't be good.

"Ok, fine," he said softly, shocking you at the surprisingly mature words.  "Then as soon as I get good enough at receives, will you at least throw a few sets to me, too?"

You grinned, suddenly feeling rather proud of the smaller of the two idiots.  It felt like you were watching him grow up before your very eyes.  "That sounds like a perfect compromise, Hinata-"

"I'll set to whoever I have to to win," Kageyama completely interrupted you.  You grit your teeth slightly.  "It's just... I highly doubt that person is going to be you."

Tanaka and Sugawara started trying to convince the boy to rethink his words but quickly stopped when they were reminded of the time.  You, on the other hand, weren't quite as easy.  "That was uncalled for, Kageyama," you growled, placing a hard hand on his shoulder to stop him from leaving.

"It was the truth," he responded, not even needing to look down.  "It's better he figure that out now."

"And how do you expect him to learn without any help?" The girl bit back.  "There's a reason it's called a team, you know.  There is no one person who gets to control everything.  Not even you."  You let go of his shoulder roughly, choosing instead to help the others finish cleaning up the gym while Kageyama was left in his own thoughts. 

---

You sighed and rested your forehead against your arms.  Tanaka-senpai was right.  5AM was way too early for any sane person to be awake.  And now, you were paying the price for it.

"Don't you think you should finish your part of the work before taking a nap?  Or is it too hard for you?" Tsukishima pouted mockingly.

"Why don't you take a second look before saying stupid things," you yawned pushing your completed assignment forward a bit.

"Tch.  What's wrong with you this morning anyways, crossdresser-chan?" The annoying voice prodded into the poor girl who really just wanted a moment of rest.