Chapter 6

Courtney's POV

We walked into the dojo and Mr. Miyagi was practicing. Once he saw us out of the corner of his eye, he stopped.

"Hey, Mr. Miyagi. What are we gonna do today." Daniel asked.

"Come with me." He said.

We looked at each other and agreed. We followed him down the street to this park. It was a really big open field with a lake in it. It had a playground off to the side but nobody was there. It was peaceful.

"Today we are going to work on focus and balance."

Typical.

I had my doubts about him at first. But he really showed me what real karate is about. And I know I've got a lot to learn. And I know that they're both gonna hate me when they find out who my dad is. I know they hate him. Probably as much as I do.

But maybe I don't wanna be the bad guy anymore.

Daniel's POV

After what she said about her parents today got me thinking. I needed to focus but I just couldn't.

I have a tournament. I have to win. I have to do it for Mr. Miyagi. For me.

But what about her? Is she ok? Was it the war that messed up her dad or was it just who he was? How did he become a teacher?

That got me thinking-

Her dad...

Who is her dad?

Courtney's POV

I couldn't imagine yoga class helping with karate but it was certainly relaxing. I needed everything off my mind. I'm a kid for now but I won't be for much longer. I'm 16. I turn 17 in three months.

Then I'm on my own.

Just me against the world.

I've worked my ass off my entire life. Trying to balance karate, school, and a job isn't easy. Even if it was just mowing lawns for 2 bucks an hour.

I recently quit both my jobs back in June and it was a huge mistake. I was focusing on getting my black belt and trying to get into all valley under 18 tournament.

We all know that didn't work out the way I was hoping it would.

Now I'm not making money and I don't get to fight in the all valley. It's too late to enroll anyway.

Time seemed to go by way too fast. I wish I could have stayed here forever. Instead of having to go out into the cold night and try and survive to the next day.

We cleaned ourselves up a bit and Daniel and I left. Mr. Miyagi closed the doors and I found myself where I was before.

I felt alone.

I had someone who's been nicer to me in the past week than anyone has in my entire life. And I still felt alone.

"So, Courtney... I was thinking..."

He had a hard time spitting out what he was trying to say.

"You were thinking...?" I think that stopped it all. He stopped stuttering and was able to put words together.

"Is there something going on at home?" He asked.

I stopped in my tracks.

"Oh my God..." He started. "Are you ok?"

"I didn't say anything." I said.

"That's the problem! Are you seriously gonna go home to that?"