Chapter 6

December 2, 2020

Jungkook knocked on the door, frowning when there was no answer. He turned around to double-check and yes, the man's car was in the driveway, he must be home. He rang the doorbell a couple of times and waited. Finally, just when he was about to give up, the door swung open and there stood Jungkook's best friend, Namjoon, looking a little flustered.

"Namjoonie!" Jungkook greeted. "It's been a while, can I visit for a bit?" Jungkook noticed the dark circles under Namjoon's eyes. "I didn't wake you, did I?"

"No, I wasn't sleeping," Namjoon chuckled, a little out of breath. "I was just busy doing something."

Jungkook figured he had probably just been working out or something. "Oh, okay..are you busy right now?"

Namjoon hesitated for the slightest second before answering. "No, no. Come in. I'll make some coffee."

~

"It's nice to finally see you," Jungkook said after he took a long, much-needed sip of his coffee. This was his first time taking a real break from work since he'd been assigned Seokjin's case four days ago. He'd decided to go visit his best friend to try and clear his mind.

"Same here," Namjoon smiled, showing the dimples that Jungkook always thought were so charming. "It's good for you to take a break, you work too hard. I've been pretty busy, too, though," Namjoon said, glancing to the side for a second before looking back at Jungkook. "What have you been up to?"

"Well, I've been assigned a really big case. Maybe my most important one yet. A boy's been missing since November 26th." It was December 2nd today, which meant that Seokjin had been gone for five days now. It was stressful knowing that with each passing moment, there was less of a chance of him being alive.

"O-oh?" Namjoon's eyebrows raised. "Why would they assign the case to you? I mean, you've never had a missing person's case before."

Jungkook thought about it. "Captain Min thought it would be a quick one to solve. But either way, I know he wouldn't assign me a case he thought I can't handle. I won't let him down."

Namjoon fiddled with the handle of his mug. "So...do you have any idea where he's gone?"

Namjoon didn't usually seem so interested in his work, but Jungkook supposed a missing person was a bit more serious than the cases he'd previously been given. "No, I have no leads," he groaned. "It's so frustrating, he just disappeared without a trace."

"That's too bad," Namjoon said, taking a sip of his coffee and leaning back on the couch. "Good luck finding him."

"Thanks, I'll need it." Jungkook looked around Namjoon's house. It was a lot more cluttered than usual. He hoped that his friend wasn't falling into another depression like he did when things ended with Taehyung because for a while, it really seemed like he was getting better. "Hey, is everything alright with you?" Jungkook asked in concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Namjoon smiled easily but Jungkook sensed some tension behind it. "I'm just having trouble thinking of ideas for my next book."

"Now who's working too much?" Jungkook chuckled. "You just finished your last one. You deserve a break, too!"

Jungkook only stuck around for another hour before he thought it was time to go. He was getting weird vibes from Namjoon that day, something he couldn't put his finger on. Maybe he should have called before coming over unannounced, but Namjoon never seemed to mind before.

He did want to come to visit Namjoon more often though--both to check up on the man and make sure he was taking care of himself, and also because the visit did work in giving Jungkook a clearer mind. He decided that he was clearly getting nowhere by simply scouring the internet for information about Seokjin and questioning the nearby neighbours. Perhaps he'd have more luck talking with Jimin again.