Chapter 28

"...And then I told him he had an hour to clean out his desk. You should have seen his face, Joon. He was actually about to cry," Yoongi laughed as he told Namjoon the story of how he demoted Jungkook.

"So, he's not a detective anymore?" Namjoon asked. He was lying in his bed at Yoongi's house, where he had been staying ever since that fateful day he lost Jin. Yoongi was sitting near the foot of the bed, still dressed in his work uniform.

"Nope," Yoongi said smugly. "And that's only the start. He shot you, and he took away your happiness. We're not even close to even yet."

Namjoon tried to hide his frown. Sure, he was relieved that Jungkook was a detective anymore--that meant he wouldn't have as much time to snoop around on him anymore. But, he had more important things on his mind. "That's great, but have you given any more thought about how we're going to get Jin back?"

Namjoon wanted to do more. He wanted to go out and look for Jin himself, but Yoongi was too protective. He insisted on making Namjoon rest until he was completely healed. So, Namjoon had to rely on his cousin to handle everything.

"Yes, actually. I checked out that Jimin boy's place but it doesn't look like Seokjin is there. The kid's a fucking loner so he doesn't have any other friends to stay with. I know his father is in America, so that only leaves one place he could be."

Namjoon winced at the way Yoongi was talking about Jin, but he looked past it. "Jungkook's," he concluded, and Yoongi nodded. "I'll need to get a search warrant against him. That'll take some time, but I know what to do. I need to ruin his reputation with his coworkers and find some sort of evidence to plant."

Namjoon listened, fingers playing with the edge of the soft blanket Yoongi draped over him. So far, it seemed like the plan still consisted of more revenge against Jungkook. "But I don't understand, how will that help us get Jin back?"

"I'll be the first one to search his apartment. The first thing I'll have to do is kill Jungkook. Then I'll knock Jin out, take him out of the building, find any evidence he has against you and destroy it, then call for backup. I'll show them the search warrant and say I killed Jungkook out of self-defence. They'll eat that shit up once I have them all convinced Jungkook's the one who kidnapped Seokjin all along."

Namjoon avoided Yoongi's expectant gaze. Yoongi talked about killing Jungkook with such indifference, like it was nothing to him. Sure, Namjoon resented Jungkook for what he'd done, but he wasn't so sure he wanted him dead. Maybe at one point he did, but hearing Yoongi talk about it was different. Still, Namjoon had trusted Yoongi for most of his life, and the man had never let him down.

"That sounds smart. Thank you, Yoongi," Namjoon smiled wearily, and Yoongi fluffed up his hair. It was at times like this when Namjoon was thankful that Yoongi had a soft spot for him. He'd hate to be in Jungkook's place, on the receiving end of Yoongi's hatred.

"But..." Namjoon said, suddenly realizing something. "If the other officers think Jungkook took Jin, wouldn't they wonder where he is?"

"He could have been keeping Jin someplace else. Or we can take some of Seokjin's blood and make it seem like he's dead," Yoongi said right away. He really had a plan for everything.

"Yoongi?"

"Yes?"

"Are you sure about killing Jungkook?"

"Yes, Joon. We have to. He's already shot you once. He could have killed you. Who's to say he won't do it again? Plus, if he ends up getting free, he'll only go looking for Seokjin again. And next time, he'll know right away who has him."