Chapter 36

Detective Hongjoong nodded towards another officer, who seemed to have been listening to their conversation and immediately started putting Namjoon in cuffs. "This whole situation is a mess," the officer sighed. "Will you be able to explain exactly what happened?"

The question was directed toward Jin. "I can, but can't I go with Jungkook to the hospital first?" He watched as Namjoon was brought out of the room. Just before exiting, he looked back and caught Jin's eye. Jin didn't know what the man was trying to convey with his intense expression, but he met it only with a blank stare.

"I'm afraid you can't do that," Hongjoong said. "Not until we have everything sorted out." He examined Jin. "Although you'll probably have to get checked out, too."

A couple of minutes later, paramedics came to take Officer Min and Jungkook to the hospital. It was torture to see Jungkook go. After everything, the only place Jin wanted to be was by his side. A paramedic bandaged Jin's cuts but decided he didn't need to go to the hospital.

"Come on," Hoseok said, grabbing Jin's hand and helping him up. "The Commissioner is waiting for us at the station. You can tell them everything, and I'll show them the body cam footage."

Jin didn't say anything. "It'll be enough," Hoseok assured him. "You'll be safe."

~

After all was said and done, Jin had no choice but to go home with Jimin. He didn't really mind, stepping through the door for the first time in months felt so nostalgic. The basic layout of the apartment was the same, but the things that were Taehyung's stuck out immediately.

"Seokjin, it's so nice to finally meet you!" Taehyung greeted upon hearing Jimin and Jin enter the apartment. It felt like his wide smile lit the whole place up, Jin could see how he and Jimin became such good friends.

Jin wasn't sure whether to go for a handshake or a hug, so he ended up doing neither. He waved awkwardly. "It's nice to meet you, too. And please, you can call me 'Jin'."

"Sorry, I didn't have time to get your room in order yet," Jimin said as Jin walked around, taking the place in. He missed how bright it was. The windows were always open, shining against the white countertops of their kitchen.

"It's fine, I wasn't planning on kicking him out of...his room anyways. I'm fine with the couch." Jin tried to force a smile. He truly was glad to be back in the apartment, but something about the way things had changed made him sad. This was what he'd been afraid of all along. He missed the way it was before, just him and Jimin. Despite that, he didn't have any bad feelings towards Taehyung.

"No!" Taehyung protested. "It's your room, I was just staying in it for a bit. I'll take the couch."

"Don't be ridiculous, you two," Jimin said. "Jin can sleep with me until we get everything sorted. Nobody's sleeping on the couch."

Taehyung looked like he wanted to say something, but he didn't. "Alright," Jin agreed. Jimin grabbed Jin's hand and pulled him down the hallway. "Come on, I'll show you how I kept all of your things. I can't believe you thought I'd get rid of them."

Jin looked back at Taehyung, who seemed lost standing alone in the living room. He thought that the boy must feel left out knowing how far back Jin and Jimin's friendship went. Now, Jin regretted wishing it was just him and Jimin. "Come on, Taehyung," Jin called. "I can show you my game collection!" 

Taehyung immediately brightened up and followed them into Jimin's bedroom. The three had a good time sorting through Jin's things. Jin and Taehyung seemed to immediately get along well, as if they'd been friends for years. If this was the new 'normal', Jin wouldn't complain. If only Jungkook was there, too.