Chapter 8

Honestly, I feel kind of bad making Joonie such a creepy/evil character in this story since he's such a sweetheart in real life 🥺

December 22, 2020

Time went by slowly for Jin, but he knew he knew weeks must have passed by now. It must be Christmas soon, or maybe it had already passed. Jin always spent Christmas with Jimin and Jimin's family since Jin's father, the only family he had left, lived in America. He supposed he'd be spending it alone this year, or with Namjoon if he was "lucky". 

He wondered what Jimin was thinking. Did he believe that Jin had just abandoned him, or did he know something was wrong? Jin wanted to believe the latter. Jimin must know Jin would never leave without telling him. But he hoped that his friend wasn't too worried, that Jimin was still taking care of himself and knew Jin would come back in a heartbeat if he could.

As for Namjoon, he had his good days and his bad days. Sometimes he would act like they were in a relationship, like Jin was the most precious thing in the world to him. On those days he would bring Jin food and water. On other days, it seemed that he came with the sole intention of hurting Jin, and there was nothing he could do to prevent it. Most of the time it was neither and Jin spent the whole day by himself.

Jin was starting to feel weak, probably from not enough food, water, and physical activity. Hunger was a constant part of his life now, but he'd gotten used to it. About once a week, Namjoon took him upstairs to shower, and each time Jin saw himself in the mirror he his body looked worse--skinnier and littered with more bruises. His face looked so dull and pale. He never thought of himself as particularly attractive, but now he knew for sure that he was ugly. Maybe Namjoon was making him ugly on purpose so nobody else would want him.

"I wish we could go out and do things," Namjoon said one day with a frown. "But what if someone you know sees you? They wouldn't understand that we're together, they'd take you away from me."

Namjoon's words surprised Jin. He'd never said anything like that before. Jin had to choose his response carefully. "We can still go out and do things!" He said enthusiastically. "We could go to the beach or a park, we just have to find a place with nobody else around."

"Hmm," Namjoon said as he considered the thought. "I don't know...That's still a big risk. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you." His eyes darkened.

Before Jin could try convincing him further, Namjoon's phone rang from upstairs.

"Oh, I think that's my publisher. I've been waiting for his call. I'll see you later. Okay, my Jinnie?"

Jin forced a smile and nodded, wanting Namjoon to just leave already. It was getting tiring having to put up an act all the time. Namjoon pressed a quick kiss to Jin's lips before taping his mouth over and leaving.

That was something Jin had come to expect, both the kiss and the tape. Kissing Namjoon always made him feel nauseous, but he's gotten better at hiding it. He remembered the first time Namjoon kissed him; it was out of nowhere, and Jin didn't even get the chance to back away. He cried afterwards--that was his first kiss. He just hoped Namjoon never tried to do anything more because that's where Jin drew the line.

As for the tape, the only time it came off was when Namjoon came down to talk. Jin supposed it was so that Jin couldn't yell for help when he was alone in the house or when Jungkook, the only person who seemed to visit, came over. 

After Namjoon left, Jin immediately went back to trying to get the ropes around his wrists loose. His tactic was to rub the rope back and forth against the concrete pillar behind him, each time shaving a tiny bit of it off. 

He bit back a groan as the raw skin rubbed against the coarse rope. He'd been working at getting them loose for a few days now, only a little bit at a time because of how much it hurt his wrists, but he felt that he was so close to getting them free. Every time he felt like he might be successful, Namjoon ended up taking him upstairs, after which the man would replace the rope with new material. 

Suddenly, yelling came from upstairs. It was Namjoon, he must have been talking on the phone. From what he could hear on Namjoon's end, it sounded like something bad was happening with his job. That scared Jin not because he was concerned for Namjoon, but the man usually ended up taking his frustrations out on Jin. And right now he sounded really angry.

That made Jin even more desperate to get this done right now before Namjoon came to hurt him. He closed his eyes and mentally prepared himself before tugging hard. He could feel some skin starting to tear but he gritted his teeth and kept trying, knowing that he couldn't stop now.

Jin cried out as his right hand finally came free. It was dripping blood and shaking heavily, but he managed to use it to pull the other one free as well and just like that, he was no longer tied to the pillar. His heart pounded as he tore the tape off his mouth. He finally did it. This might be the closest he'd come to freedom since he got there.

If he wanted to, he could walk up those stairs and open the door. He didn't hear Namjoon lock it the last he left. Of course, he knew that would be a bad idea. He could hear Namjoon pacing the floor above him. Surely he could catch Jin before he made it outside.

He had a lot of time to think about what he'd do if he ever actually got this far. He had a plan and a backup plan, both of them were long shots but well worth the risk. Ideally, he would wait until he knew Namjoon went to bed before quietly sneaking out of the house. However, he also had to consider the possibility that Namjoon would come back downstairs before that.

So, Jin let his hand drip blood in a trail as he made his way over to the couch placed maybe ten paces from the foot of the stairs. Conceivably, it was large enough for Jin to hide behind, so hopefully he'd fool Namjoon into thinking that's where was.

Then, he covered his hand to stop the dripping and instead went under the stairs. It was dark in that area, shadowed even when the lights were on. He stayed still and waited, listening to Namjoon yelling on the phone for another minute or two before finally, it sounded like he hung up.

As he waited, Jin began to doubt his plan. It only gave him a few seconds at most to run before Namjoon caught on. Maybe he should have waited until Jungkook came over and take that opportunity to get help. Jungkook would surely have been able to save him. God, Jin was stupid, but it was too late now. Even if he could re-tie his hands and get back in the same position, there was blood all over the floor.

Soon, Jin heard Namjoon make his way to the basement door. He huffed. Of course, things couldn't be easy for him just this once. He stayed completely still and held his breath when the door opened and Namjoon came down. He cringed as Namjoon stepped not even a foot above his head.

When Namjoon reached the bottom, there were a few seconds of pure anxiety as Jin waited for him to turn on the light and see that he wasn't there.

When he finally flicked the switch, Jin heard him gasp. "J-Jin?" he called out. Jin could hear the confusion and shock in his voice. He watched as Namjoon did just what he'd hoped--he walked slowly towards the couch. As soon as the man's back was turned, Jin started moving. He went as quickly as he could without making a sound.

"Jin, are you behind there? If you come out now I won't be mad."

Jin kept his eyes on Namjoon. He was at the foot of the stairs. Maybe he could actually do this.

"What happened, Jinnie?" Namjoon pressed, observing the blood. 

He saw Namjoon peer behind the couch only to see that nobody was there. "Shit," Namjoon cursed. He turned around. Jin felt like a deer caught in the headlights as their eyes connected. Namjoon's were furious. Jin had never seen him look like that before.

After the initial shock, Jin took his chance. He turned and bolted up the steps. He could hear Namjoon's heavy footsteps quickly approaching. "Seokjin," he growled.

Jin ignored him. Miraculously, he made it to the door and threw it open. Hope was building in his chest. Once he got out of the basement it would only be ten steps or less to get to the front door.

One foot made it out the door but a hand encircled his other ankle. Jin desperately kicked, trying to pull his leg free. But Namjoon's grip was like steel, and Jin's weak body was already so tired. His leg was roughly pulled back, making him lose his balance. The next thing he felt was a sharp pain when his head hit the corner of one of the stairs.

His vision immediately started to get fuzzy, blackness covering more and more of his vision. He could hear Namjoon yelling something but the words didn't register. All he could think was that he failed, and he didn't even want to imagine what Namjoon was going to do to him for this.