Chapter 26 - Disappointments and Guilt

Doctors soon swarmed into the room to make sure I was alright. They examined every inch of my body until I was sure there wasn't anything they hadn't examined. Zachary refused to leave the room during the entire process.

It's when the questions started that things started to go south. It started simple. 

"When was the last time you ate?" the doctor asked. The clipboard in one hand and a pen in the other. I sighed.

"I have no idea, kinda lost track of time while running as far away from here as I could," I said. My voice held no emotion. It's not like I was going to give them any information. Zachary's eyes were switching between his and his wolfs rapidly. My eyes grew wide and my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest. I moved my body as far away from him as I could. He stood up and started to creep closer and closer. His hands grabbed the railing of the bed, crushing it between his fingers. His canines had started to extend from his mouth and I could see them poking out from in between his lips.

I curled myself into a ball closed as tightly as I could. "Thea" he growled out. It sounded like a warning. If I had drunk any water I felt certain I would have peed my pants. He was more terrifying than I had given him credit for.  He turned to a nurse that was huddled in the corner. "Get her some broth now" He growled, looking at my ribs poking out from my stomach.  The nurse had hesitated to cross Zachary's path to get to the door. "NOW" he ordered and the nurse hurried across the room and out the door. 

"Can I continue with the questions, Alpha?" The doctor asked. Her voice wavered and her body was locked in a stiff position as if moving would cause him to unleash his wrath on her. Zachary growled out a yes but refused to leave my side.

"When was the last time you menstruated?" She asked. My brows furrowed and she must have seen the confusion in my eyes. "Your period" she tried to clarify. It didn't help, I had no idea what she was talking about. 

Zachary turned to look at the doctor as her eyes glazed over. Zachary slammed his fist down on the railing before storming out of the room. I let out a sigh as I slowly uncurled my body. The doctor came closer to my bed and sat on the end. "Do you know how babies are made?" she asked. I nodded, I did remember having that talk with my mom. "Well given your physical state, especially your malnutrition." she continued, " It could be a while before you're able to have a baby". Her words were said softly as though they were supposed to make me upset. 

I started to smile and slowly burst into laughter. This was the best news I had received in a long time. Tears started to roll down my cheeks as I looked at the extremely confused doctor. There was a knock on the door before Zachary burst through. "Why are you crying?" He asked with a worried look. His eyes were open wide as he scanned my body before moving closer to the doctor. "What did you do to my mate?" He growled at the doctor.  He slowly stalked toward her, straightening his posture as he rose to his full height. 

The doctor started to cower back and seemed to get smaller with every step Zachary took. Her arms wrapped around her legs in a defensive position and her eyes grew wide with her neck exposed. 

"Zachary" I spoke, my voice louder than I intended, "Leave her alone, she didn't do anything." My voice was firm as if I was speaking to a naughty child. His body was hovering over mine before I could finish my sentence. His eyes stared straight into mine.  

"What is going on Althea." He gritted out. His jaw was clenched as his eyes broke my gaze to scan my body.  "What did the doctor do to you, little Thea?". 

My jaw clenched at the nickname. I was short because I was malnourished growing up. "She told me it will be a long while before I'm able to have kids. That's all." I said ending the phrase with a shrug of my shoulders.  His eyes snapped straight to mine. His face went closer to mine, he was massive compared to me and it left me with no escape. I gritted my teeth to keep myself from saying something I would regret. I looked into his eyes. They were brimming with anger, as his hands came up to cup my face. His hands were rough with callouses.  My eyes were the widest they had ever been and my body was frozen. 

"I'm sorry" he whispered before moving to sit in the seat near my bed. My brow furrowed as my eyes squeezed close. A small knock on the door broke the silence that had decended upon the room. I noticed the doctor uncurl her body to answer the door. 

There was Athena standing in the doorway, a pink balloon in her hand. It looked like the balloon she gave me when I broke my leg skiing. "Can I come in, Thea?" she asked. Her voice was quiet and I barely heard the words. She looked as if she had been crying. I sighed and nodded my head. She gracefully tip toed her way into the room, bowing her head at Zachary as she crossed by his chair on the way to my bed. 

"Hi" she said almost whispering. 
"Hello" I responded, a bored look on my face. My nails were digging into my palm, I still wasn't ready to forgive her.  I needed to get out of this conversation as fast as possible. I had no will to be around her or Zachary right now. Athena grabbed my hand from under the blankets and grasped it in hers. She tried to start a conversation, my one word answers failing to annoy her. 

An hour passed before she left. The balloon was tied on one of the bed posts. Zachary continued to sit and stare at me. I turned my body to face him. I didn't want to look at him but it was safer than having my back to him. My eyes closed as waves of exhaustion hit me all at once. I felt the blanket being pulled up to cover my bare shoulders and a kiss being pressed to my forehead. 

The lights were shut off but I never heard the door open before I fell asleep. 

A/N

Hey y'all! Would  y'all prefer a weekend with 4 updates once a month or one update every week or so? 

This chapter took me longer than anticipated but I'm getting better about writing these in a timely manner!

Thanks for reading! 

 VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE